Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hooks

Many thanks Bill for the minnow tips. I forgot to ask as too what size and type of hooks you use? I havn't done much still fishing in some time.Like a lot of things tackle has changed hooks just aren't the same.I mostly use plastic worms, tubes,and the like.I read how Keith is using plastic I have some of them only larger size.Again many thanks.

Dave
    aka weasel
    dave
    in currituck

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dave, I normally use a 1/16 jig with a minnow but there are times when just a hook and minnow work better. I like a gold #1 aberdeen for trolling and a #4 thin wire/aberdeen for brush so they will pull out easier if hung up. I don't think there is a wrong choice. I also like to have one pole out with just a white jig head (with eyes on it) and a minnow. Those are just some of my preferences. Hopefully some more people will jump in here and give us their preferences.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorta sold on the Kalin's triple threat on a 1/16 slider head. Of course mine has to have a minnow on it too.
    The Kalin's plastic is real thin and flexible where the body meets the tail and that allows it to wiggle even at the slow speed I usually use. I don't know if it makes a difference but it increases my confidence.
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel hunter
    I'm sorta sold on the Kalin's triple threat on a 1/16 slider head. Of course mine has to have a minnow on it too.
    The Kalin's plastic is real thin and flexible where the body meets the tail and that allows it to wiggle even at the slow speed I usually use. I don't know if it makes a difference but it increases my confidence.
    I recently started using some of those. I really like the action. I hope the fish do too.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the 2" Kalins for a long time & I use Slider jigs a lot over brush but have never used the Kalins,weedless, on a slider jig head. I might give it a try the next time out. When you use them this way are you trolling or casting?
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Hry Don, Trolling is about the only way I know to crappie fish so my reference to the Kalins and Sliders was for trolling. I'm not sure about the weedless part, I thread the Kalins on the slider head and leave the hook exposed, and then hook the minnow.
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hry Don, Trolling is about the only way I know to crappie fish so my reference to the Kalins and Sliders was for trolling. I'm not sure about the weedless part, I thread the Kalins on the slider head and leave the hook exposed, and then hook the minnow.
    OK Squirrel, Going to High Rock Wednesday and that will be a good place to give them a try.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

I like to vertically jig over brush with a chartreuse (or a dark color in stained water)
    1 1/2" tube over a 1/16 to 1/32 oz jig. Some days I tip it with a minnow sometimes, but prespawn days I like to tip it with white berkly crappie bites. If I'm away from the brush I use a slip bobber with the appropriate split shot for wind. If I'm right on the brush or in deeper water I'll fish my line without a slip. If you fella's never tried bites I suggest you do on those tight lipped days.
    NEED MORE COWBELL!!
    JD