Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grasshoppers and Maggots

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grasshoppers and Maggots

I want to pass along a couple tricks I use to anyone willing to read this:

1. Catching Grasshoppers: The absolute best trick i know for catching grasshoppers is to find an old wool army blanket. With a person on each side of the blanket, walk through a field and kick up the grass. When the grasshoppers hit the blanket they get their legs caught in the wool. Just stop and fill your jar up.
    2. Super Maggots: Next time you clean your fish. Leave a couple of carcasses in an old bucket. In a few days maggots will be crawling all over them. Take a pair of rubber gloves and a mask (to keep from getting sick) and shake the maggots onto a piece of newspaper. Take the maggots and put them in a Mason jar about 1/4 of the way up. Add about twice as much WHITE CORNMEAL to the jar as you have maggots. Seal the lid tight and place this in your fridge (bait fridge if you have one in the garage). Placing the jar in the fridge stops the maggots from becoming flies. In a 7-10 you will have some of the largest maggots you will ever see, and they smell like cornmeal.

I probably look like some sort of idiot on here with some of my posts but I hope some people enjoy reading them. Growing up in Indiana you learned to hunt your own bait. I had to mow a lot yards to afford as much bait as a avid fisherman needed. If it weren't for mowing, selling nightcrawlers, redworms, driftworms and soft craws I would have been one broke kid.
    Caught so many fish today my thumb is sore from clicking the counter.

Post Thanks / Like

Papermouth wrote -- I probably look like some sort of idiot on here with some of my posts but
    No way your posts are great remind me of my youth, keep up the good work:D
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the tips those sound like goodens
    HERE FISHY FISHY

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know what my wife will do if I put maggots in our refrigerator?

Post Thanks / Like

If you'll add food coloring to the carcasses you'll get a colored maggot of your choice.

fishing buddy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Spent many a days kickin the grass around the bank looking for bait.Frogs, insects, whatever!

www.slabcrappieguides.com
    Hi Tek Pro Staff
    Bobby Garland Baits

Post Thanks / Like

I just order my maggots. They're not any more expensive than other baits, and I don't have to deal with rotting flesh.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jignjim View Post
    Do you know what my wife will do if I put maggots in our refrigerator?
    Yep. It's even worse if they get out....

Over 30 years ago, I put a box of maggots in a plastic bag and stuck it at the back of the fridge after a summer's day fishing. Next morning, she looks in the fridge and sees that the lid came off the container and the maggots were into the plastic bag and on their way out.....

I didn't know a person could scream that loud.

Went out and bought a used mini-fridge from a college kid and put it in the basement same day. Still have them (the fridge and the wife)

Post Thanks / Like

Is that 7 to 10 days, On the maggots. For the growth
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PapermouthLegend View Post
    I want to pass along a couple tricks I use to anyone willing to read this:

1. Catching Grasshoppers: The absolute best trick i know for catching grasshoppers is to find an old wool army blanket. With a person on each side of the blanket, walk through a field and kick up the grass. When the grasshoppers hit the blanket they get their legs caught in the wool. Just stop and fill your jar up.
    2. Super Maggots: Next time you clean your fish. Leave a couple of carcasses in an old bucket. In a few days maggots will be crawling all over them. Take a pair of rubber gloves and a mask (to keep from getting sick) and shake the maggots onto a piece of newspaper. Take the maggots and put them in a Mason jar about 1/4 of the way up. Add about twice as much WHITE CORNMEAL to the jar as you have maggots. Seal the lid tight and place this in your fridge (bait fridge if you have one in the garage). Placing the jar in the fridge stops the maggots from becoming flies. In a 7-10 you will have some of the largest maggots you will ever see, and they smell like cornmeal.

I probably look like some sort of idiot on here with some of my posts but I hope some people enjoy reading them. Growing up in Indiana you learned to hunt your own bait. I had to mow a lot yards to afford as much bait as a avid fisherman needed. If it weren't for mowing, selling nightcrawlers, redworms, driftworms and soft craws I would have been one broke kid.
    ive used both them tricks before nd they both work.. great tips there

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast