Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: crappie at Lake of Egypt

tocatch1 Guest

Default crappie at Lake of Egypt

Tyson Reports:

The crappie bite has been good the last few days. On Friday the 29th I boated around 60 crappie taking home around 40. I look for the bite to taper off for a short time due to the cold temperaturesmoving in. With this kind of forecast It can make for a slow bite. The crappie are still hitting a
    curly tail jig. Black and chartreuse and blue and chartreuse seem to produce well.

Now for the bass fishing. Overall it has been descent. I look for the bite to pick up in the next two-three weeks. I know their biological clock is ticking for the spawn. We need about 5 good days of warmth for the bass to make a major push to the pre-spawn stage.

With all the rain the south end of the lake looks like chocolate milk. I don't know about you, but I don't like cold muddy water. The temps has fallen into the 38 degree range, making for a slow bite, but always managing to boat a few bass.

The front of the lake is still pretty clear, the hot water is continually getting washed over the dam by all the rain and snow southern Illinois has experienced in the last few weeks, and this week being no exception with heavy rains and snow forecast most of the week. The power plant has
    not been running the last couple of days, generally they shut down a couple weeks in March to clean the stacks. I hope they hurry.

The lake has been hammered by tournament boats, but the lake is still producing good bags of bass. Weights of 15-17 pounds is what it takes to win in any given tournament.

Tyson reports catching good #s of fish on jigs, crankbaits, lipless crankbaits, and Carolina rig.
    He is concentrating on weed edges and some points in the main lake. Two - 10 ft seems to be the most productive.

If you can weather the cold I am sure I can get you in striking distance of some bass or crappie.
    Most of the biggest bass or crappie are caught this time of year. Check the photo page and you will see for yourself.

www.snsguideservice.com

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been there, but just live across the river in MO. Got a friend who swears you can wear them out over there, IF you know what you're doing! May try to get there some day if the snow and ice would ever leave us alone! How warm does the water stay around the plant?