Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wednesday Night Blacshear nightfishing report

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wednesday Night Blacshear nightfishing report

Sorry this is a little late. For some reason I haven't been able to get to the website for the past couple of days. Well....as I drove over Smoake bridge about 7 in the evening the water didn't look so good. Muddy. I was fishing anyhow though. And good thing because the crappie were biting. Caught 15 between 8 and 11:30 fishing the docks going up the creek toward the tressel....and a few of those came from the docks past the tressel towards the trees. The bigger ones actually came from the shallow docks back there, but the fishing was slower. At 1130 I paddled back to the landing to drop my Wednesday fish off.......
    At 12:30 I headed down the creek and fished the slough off to the right as you just pass the bridge and are heading towards the main lake. I limited out with 30 by 4 AM. And they were biting awesome at 4 as I reached my limit. Oh well. No monster crappie. They all seemed to be anywhere from 9 to 11 inches. Good eating size I guess. The visibility in the water was not more than five inches, but they didn't care. All the AM fish came off of an Acid Rain color Khalins curly tail. Wish I had fished with that during the evening. Probably would have had two limits. I had to work for the evening fish, but in the AM it was almost every cast. They love that Acid Rain curly tail though. The retrieve was a slow one, just allowing the lure to drop every 2 feet, then lift it back up an so on. They always hit on the drop.
    I was the only one fishing Swift last night. There was one other boat but they pulled out at 11. It was a beautiful night and clear skies. I got to see some otters playing around, shared some quality time with an old Golden Retriever on one of the docks at the back of Swift, and crapped my pants when a gator decided to wait till I was almost on top of him to go berserk and thrash around about five feet away. I about had a heart attack. Anyhow fun night and thanks for the advice ya'll. Oh and if catching crappie like that is typical of night fishing on Blackshear.....I think I'm hooked.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Blackshear Report

Nice report Crappster, I had to laugh about the gator. I was fishing at Fargo Ga, at the state park in the oke. Swamp. I stoped on the side of the road and walked under the bridge to fish and walked up on a gator. Man the water exploded and scared me so bad I could not move, He could have gotten me if he wanted to I could not move. Needless to say I had to change my clothes too. Good report ! Jimmy S.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Great trip man. I am glad you didn't make the trip here. I caught zero that night. I gave up at 11 and packed it in. IMO crappie bite better at night everywhere I have ever fished.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

For those of you in the know......whats the deal with people and their dock lights? When I was at Blackshear the other night, only about 10 of over a 100 lights were on. Was it because I was fishing on a weeknight? Do they turn on more on the weekends? Is it out of season? Just wondering if anyone could post some insight on this.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i think they do that to keep people from fishing at their docks . most will fish a well lighted dock . seen some over there that has slats to keep boater from shooting jigs under the docks .some dont staye over there and turn the dock lights off when they arenot there . papasage
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

One other strange thing about that night. I had about 10 crappie jump out of the water like a bass. They weren't as elegant and didn't get as high but they were jumping. Also had almost all of them come right to the surface after being hooked and just splash about. None of them stayed deep. Weird. Maybe its a night thing.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i have alwayes had my wife with me and didnt pay attinchion to them . she had my mind ocupied helping her .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of lights do you have on that Kayak???? I got to thinking about my night trips to Blackshear last summer and it can get dark enough that a boat might not see you very good.....as for dock lights....it's normal for only a few to be on and don't get suprised if people cut the lights off if they see you fishing it and then cut it back on after you leave.....

Post Thanks / Like

Its actually a canoe....and according to the DNR I don't have to have any lights on my canoe. Thats because I don't have a motor and can't run into anyone. But I'm not dumb, so I have a really bright nav light that takes D cell batteries on the back of the canoe. The other night I didn't even have to use it. I was the only one on Swift. I could never use a kayak. I got too much stuff to bring. I put a 50 quart cooler in the canoe along with all my other crap. I usually have about six rods on board. Anyhow....I hope to get em again this Friday. Oh...and how did you do on Blackshear during the summer? Did you catch em well? I'm planning on night trips to shear to be my go to fishing this summer.

Post Thanks / Like

We didn't too well actually....fished down in swift one night and caught a couple and a some hybrids....mainly fished up from cedar creek where the channel swings close to the docks.....caught a good mess of small fish one trip (maybe 15 or so), and then caught 5 or 6 the other trip if I remember right.....the wind can really be murder on that lake and two of those nights it was coming out of the southwest and made it pretty tuff to fish.....I'm sure I'll try it some this year too since it's convinient but I've never had a whole lot of luck on Blackshear anytime of year.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast