Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boat trailer question?

Post Thanks / Like

Default boat trailer question?

I have a painted aluminum 18' boat. Thinking about putting glide slicks(plastic strips) on the trailer bunks. Does anybody have any experience(good or bad) with these. I know the boat will load and unload a lot easier. but
    Thank for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like

If it has bunks on it now. It wouldn't hurt any. I just don't know if you would gain anything.
    I changed out my bunks for roller type bunks and did absolutely no good. Except maybe cleaning out my wallet a little.
    Think about how you unload your boat. Do you float it off, or on for that matter? If so, slides won't do you much good. If you winch it onto the trailer they will help out.
    Thats my experience.

If I haven't welcomed you to the forum. Welcome from Michigan.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

i bought some from basspro, put all of them on. the boat literally slid off the trailer!!! ended up having to take some off b/c it was too slick. this has really made loading/unloading very easy. i recommend them highly; you'll have to play around to get the right number on (i currently have 3 on each bunk for a 16 foot seaark alum boat).

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine took some 1-1/2" or 2" pvc and cut it in half lengthwise and screwed it to the boards to help the boat slide better. He coutersunk the screw heads into the pvc to keep from scratching the boat. He had about 4 bucks in the whole project. Maybe this might help.
    Last edited by cjbrewer5; 03-06-2008 at 08:20 PM.
    It's not a passion! It's A very bad obsession!

Post Thanks / Like

im thinken milk jugs cut into strips stapled, to simple ??
    Hobbies-Fishing; Motorcycling (Of course on a BMW!-is there any thing else?)
    http://beemersbiblebits.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

the part about cleaning out the wallet is what got me gun shy!
    Hobbies-Fishing; Motorcycling (Of course on a BMW!-is there any thing else?)
    http://beemersbiblebits.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

How much are they? I would think you could go to a restaurant supply and buy a cutting board or Wal-Mart for that matter cut into strips with saw and countersink the fasteners for probably under $20.00.

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

First think about how you load boat on trailer, If boat floats say 2/3 of way onto trailer before U have to start winching it then U only need & want to put the slides on the front 1/3 of the bunks boards. Thats what I did. Also this way boat won't slide around once its on trailer.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I sprayed my bunks with this stuff called "Liquid Rollers". It works great!! Don't unhook your boat until you want it to come off the trailer because it will drop onto the ramp if you aren't careful.

Post Thanks / Like

I put "armor all" on my bunks a couple of years ago. I sprayed a little on each bunk after I launched the boat. Big mistake for me. The boat kept wanting to slide off too easy when I launched or retrieved. I thought it would come off after a couple of trips but it did not. I finally had to use soap to wash it off the bunks. I winch my boat on the trailer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast