Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinions needed

Maybe I am too close minded. After all I am 60 years of age and set in my way and all that. Here is what is rubbing me the wrong way. I belong to another site where they are arguing about the state having to do more so people can catch fish.

They want shorter seasons , lower bag limits , slot lengths whatever they all have magic cures they think will enable them to catch more fish or some fish whatever the case may be.

I have been listening to this for over 50 years. I can honestly say I do not think the state is the problem. It is the lack of knowledge in the inividual fisherman. I am under the impression even if the whole state went to mandatory catch and release these guys still would not be able to catch fish.

One lake I grew up on was nicknamed the " dead sea " by disgruntled local anglers. Yet I caught fish mostly walleye and crappie consistently out of it. Another local lake I owned and operated a bait shop. Guys would look at pictures and ask these walleyes come from Lake Erie. I would tell them nope this lake. When the state used to pull their test nets in the spring to milk the eggs from the walleye. I would send these doubters to watch. They all came back amazed not only at the number but at the size.

I live in Ohio and while I would not rate it as the greatest fishing state. It certainly is a good one. How do you all feel about it ?
    Garminarmin gpsmap 1040 xs networked with Garmin gpsmap 1242 xsv , Panoptix PS 30 and PS 31. Livescope LVS 32

Ice rig Echomap Ultra 106SV with LVS 12 and GT10-IF

Post Thanks / Like

Good question Hays47 and welcome.

People these days just need something to moan about or there not happy.

You may remember years ago when alewives were a real serious problem in Lake Michigan. I remember it well. You couldn't walk on the beaches without gaging on the stench of them dying or get your feet full of dried bib bones. OUCH
    Well the salmon were planted to help eradicate the alewives and it almost happened. Until the salmon contracted some kind of liver disease, because they ate almost all of them. Natures way I guess. Problem almost solved with the alewives.
    With the salmon though, came a great sport fishery and money.
    Now, remember the reason the salmon were planted?
    The steelheaders association, which is a very strong force around here. Wants the state to plant more alewives!! Incredable to me.
    We just can't please them all.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hays47 View Post
    I do not think the state is the problem. It is the lack of knowledge in the inividual fisherman. I am under the impression even if the whole state went to mandatory catch and release these guys still would not be able to catch fish.
    Sad but true. Many people are just clueless, others look for some kind of "magic bait". Others have grown up without a dad to teach them.

The old Fishing Facts magazine had a saying: "Knowledge is the key to fishing success." Charlie Brewer, who wrote for FF said the same thing in a slightly different way: "There's little luck to catching fish."

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with a lot of that. In general, I think at least in my home lakes
    there are not nearly as many fish as there used to be, but still healthy
    populations. But a few goose egg trips can make a guy swear there ain't
    no fish in this here pond anymore Used to be, folks really hammered
    the big ones in the Spring and then 99 percent of folks left 'em alone till
    next year - you know, the old "crappie only bite in the Spring" thing.
    But now there are a bunch of us after them 365. But ok with me,
    sometimes have to work hard for 5 or 10, even get skunked on occasion,
    sometimes can catch a limit quick. Life is good :D
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all of the above. I've decided that people have gotten dumb and lazy. I had a fellow ask me this last week if I would take him to one of the rivers I usually catch fish on. He said he don't know anything about it and wanted me to teach him. This guy never goes somewhere on his own and always has to have someone show or tell him how to fish anywhere he goes. I ask him if he has a boat and with a bit of excitement he said yes. I then told him if he wanted to learn the river, then he could do exactly like I did, which was go out on my own and learned the place by myself without any help. I'm still learning, while he's sitting at home waiting on someone to show him exactly where to put his hook and tell him when to jerk. I don't think it's the state's fault, just lazy people who want it to where they can drop a hook anywhere and catch a limit of 4lber's (which ain't gonna happen, no matter what kind of laws there are).
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Fishing is work,

now days,
    Instant TV
    Instant drive thru meals
    Instant Coffee
    Instant Tea
    Instant Dinners

You got the idea,
    as I said fishing is work
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

hays 47-good answer to those folk wanting the state to..."blah, blah, blah" (not orig, some current country song).:D:D:D
    Hobbies-Fishing; Motorcycling (Of course on a BMW!-is there any thing else?)
    http://beemersbiblebits.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing is alot like work. You must put your time in, learn from you mistakes as well as victories, be willing to be "open" minded and be there to catch them. Some folks think they can just go "fishing" and catch fish, this maybe true a few times but most of the time you must employ what you have learned and tactics that work for that given day/situation. Sometimes I "work" all day to find the fish and what they want then in a couple of hours I come away with what I came for and feel good about it. I remember as a kid my brother would stop fishing long before me and say lets go home or I'm bored but I would keep at it trying different spots, different things to see if I could get one. Then when I did catch one, I was "just" lucky. I kept telling him, you have to be fishing to catch a fish! It is easy to say, "They ain't biting today" and call it quits. But if you willing to put your time in and try different tactics and presentations, most of the time you can get a few fish . I also believe some people have a natural "feel" for fish/fishing. They can look at a body of water or read the conditions and start down the right path sooner than most. I have a had time telling people what a crappie bite feels like in 30sum* water with a falling jig. It is not a thump, jerk, hit or bite. I tell them it is like a flea just ran into your line. Good Luck to ya!!
    Sponsored by my wallet!!

Post Thanks / Like

I remember the trips where I fought high wind, nearly froze, maybe
    got sleeted on, fished all day for 5 or so fish a lot more and get more
    of the (whatever it is?) that makes me love fishing out of them than
    the days it was beautiful weather and I limited out by 10 o'clock...

What do ya'll think? I know, I ain't right
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J White View Post
    I remember the trips where I fought high wind, nearly froze, maybe
    got sleeted on, fished all day for 5 or so fish a lot more and get more
    of the (whatever it is?) that makes me love fishing out of them than
    the days it was beautiful weather and I limited out by 10 o'clock...

What do ya'll think? I know, I ain't right
    Jeff it's just like deer hunting for me. Some people can take a 700 mag, sit where there are feeders, pick out the Boone and Crocket they want and make a fine shot and be happy (I'm not knocking this, just making a point). I can take my recurve bow deep into the woods and either set up on a feed route or bedding route, see one deer a year, shoot a spike, and be the happiest man alive. I guess for some of us, we feel we have to deserve the rewards.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast