Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hummingbird 787/797 Question

Post Thanks / Like

Question Hummingbird 787/797 Question

I have been shopping for a Hummingbird SI Fishfinder on the internet. I have found several places that sell them. The 797 suggested manufacturer's price is $999. I have found some for around $888. I have found a new 787 for $616. Obviously, the 797 is a new model but I can't find much difference in the features or performance. I am a firm believer in that you get what you pay for but as you can see, there is a considerable difference in the price. As far as I can see, the warrenty is the same and the 787 is a new never been used unit. Anyone care to offer an opinion on which way I should go or had any experiance with either unit?

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 787 and its not a SI fishfinder... I'm 99% sure the 797 is the only model in the 700 series that has the SI technology. Thats the reason for the big difference in price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ykkapslabhunter View Post
    I have the 787 and its not a SI fishfinder... I'm 99% sure the 797 is the only model in the 700 series that has the SI technology. Thats the reason for the big difference in price.
    Yep, same but for have/have not SI far as I know ( I got 787 ) have not
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

The 787 is a GPS/sonar unit, not a side imaging unit. The 797 is a miniature version of the 997 SI, and I really don't believe you'd be satisfied with it if you're really wanting an SI unit. I have the 787 and 997 on my Lund, along with Lowrance 510 and 520. I do not believe that the 2D on the Humminbird is anywhere near as good as on the Lowrance, IMHO. Anyway, if you're looking for an SI, save some more money and buy the 997.

Post Thanks / Like

You can get the 797 with the maps for $1000 on Ebay. Get the maps it is well worth it and the 797 will not let you save snaps shots unless you have a SD card installed and IF you wait and buy the maps the chip will take up your slot.

Get The Net

Post Thanks / Like

One of the best places I have found to purchase a fish finder is j and h products.I just purchased a 787 gps from them and it was like 90 bucks cheaper than bps

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if it doesn't have SI, I am not interested. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 797 on my personal boat and it is awsome. I have the 997 on my work boat. they seem to be pretty much the same besides the screens and HD. I got the 797 at Gander for $800. taking pics is not that big a deal for me I just want the way points. I don't like the go - to feature on either one of them. the $150 garmin does a much better job for me. Good luck

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yellow hat View Post
    I have the 797 on my personal boat and it is awsome. I have the 997 on my work boat. they seem to be pretty much the same besides the screens and HD. I got the 797 at Gander for $800. taking pics is not that big a deal for me I just want the way points. I don't like the go - to feature on either one of them. the $150 garmin does a much better job for me. Good luck
    I agree about the Garmin. My 76 does better than HB 797.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"