Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10/2 braid with steel guides?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 10/2 braid with steel guides?

will 10/2 braid cut or put grooves in steel guides of a rod?

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard lots of stories over the years of braid cutting grooves.. More so now with the "super-braids". I only use braid on rods with ceramic guide-eyes, just to be safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it definitely will!!
    If you fish 6-8 hours a day, 5-6 days a week, most likely you will have to replace those guides in a mere 30 years instead of being able to wait 35 years!

Post Thanks / Like

i have had spider wire on the same rod since 1996 and you cant find any rough surface on the guides. it is on my swimming jig rod that i use all the time. i fish 150 to 200 days a year bass fishing. i check my guides often with a q-tip to be safe. i have never had a problem with wear. i dont think you would ever wear a groove in you r guides.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Sooner ...

Quote Originally Posted by rednecksooner View Post
    will 10/2 braid cut or put grooves in steel guides of a rod?
    There used to be a problem with braids cutting grooves in guides ... but, it was the aluminum ones. Ceramic insert types of guides (like Fuji guides) and the more modern metal guides aren't susceptible to grooving with braids. Metal guides WILL "sing" (hum) with some braids, but Ceramic guides aren't nearly as loud.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Hey All!
    I’ll admit, I was being a bit sarcastic, or maybe it was a feeble attempt at humor, in my previous statement, but the purpose was to emphasize a point!
    The point being - - If you absolutely and emphatically must make a comparison between braided line and monofilament line, then, yes, braided line will wear grooves before monofilament line will!!
    But we aren’t talking about days or weeks or months, or even years! We are talking about decades!
    If you prefer braided line, (which I do) go for it! You will not notice a discernable difference for many years!
    One good advantage is, it might give you a really good excuse to trade your old rod in for a new-and-improved, state-of-the-art rod in 30 or 40 years!
    Deral

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deral View Post
    One good advantage is, it might give you a really good excuse to trade your old rod in for a new-and-improved, state-of-the-art rod
    Any excuse to let the bait monkey out and buy a new piece of gear is a good excuse!!!!!! Excuse me while I go tell my wife I have to get a new rod so I don't have to worry about my line carving grooves in the eyes LOL!!! Who knows, she might make me buy her a new rod too!!!!

So... if you're looking for that excuse for a new rod folks - the answer is YES, braid is like a chainsaw on whatever type of guides you have on your old rod, so you need to get on down to the tackle store and get the latest-greatest new rod they have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

You got that right, Joe!
    All we need is some sort of flimsy excuse and the spending starts!
    All experienced fishermen are fully aware that most lures are not designed to catch fish; they are designed to catch fishermen! If they are pretty, we buy ‘em, even though we know full well that no self-respecting fish with a shred of decency would ever be seen biting most of those things!
    But we don’t care! We would never let something silly like “common sense” stop us from buying them anyway!
    Deral

Post Thanks / Like

It's not recommended that you use the new braids for the larger ocean fish, as it 'can' grove your guides when a big fish makes a long run pulling drag. Honestly, I've not had too many crappie pull a lot of drag...so I say go for it if you want, cause you'll not notice any difference. And I use the Stren 6/20 braid for my crappie fishing.
    Last edited by Guy Skinner; 03-06-2008 at 02:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, this one has 17 treble hooks, rattles, flashes burps and passes gass!!!!! I'll take three of the purple and green, and six of the hot pink and blue! :D :D :D

I gotta say though, I went to the BPS members deal last Friday and I'm proud to say I did a decent job controlling the bait monkey... After eating the free food, trying to catch a trout in the little trout pond they set up, and browsing for three hours waiting for the fishfinder drawing, I only spent $14.00. Normally, if I'm in that store for that long, I walk out wondering how I'm gonna pay this month's bills!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast