Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Albino Minnows?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Albino Minnows?

I was jigging a dock recently and was being out-fished 10 to 1 by this guy using what he called "albino minnows." They were tiny (<2 inch), and looked more orange than white to me. My buddy had plain crappie minnows and didn't get a bite on 2 poles in 4 hours. Anyone ever heard of such minnows? The guy was pretty vague about where he got them (understandably so). Do you think I have to go to a specialty/pet store to find them? I know some of you guys are careful about what strain of minnows you use, but to me (maybe it's an Oklahoma thing) a minnow has always been a minnow...until now.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

could be some of the minnows like we use down in Arkansas alot, they are called rosies they have an orange color to them. They are small minnows but are killers on the crappie. Jerry and Darryl get them for Andersons fish farm and I think its up by Little Rock.
    MT.DEW AND JP8 IN THE MORNING GETS THE BLOOD FLOWING.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DC Crappie Kid View Post
    I was jigging a dock recently and was being out-fished 10 to 1 by this guy using what he called "albino minnows." They were tiny (<2 inch), and looked more orange than white to me. My buddy had plain crappie minnows and didn't get a bite on 2 poles in 4 hours. Anyone ever heard of such minnows? The guy was pretty vague about where he got them (understandably so). Do you think I have to go to a specialty/pet store to find them? I know some of you guys are careful about what strain of minnows you use, but to me (maybe it's an Oklahoma thing) a minnow has always been a minnow...until now.
    Grubby is correct. They are a "rosy red" variety of the fathead minnow.
    I stocked a couple little minnow ponds I have with them and shiners. Both reproduce well. Some of the offspring of the rosies will be "regular" fathead minnow colored. They'll also get up to about 3"+
    Here's some from out of my pond, along with some regular colored ones and a few shiners.
    Name:  Christmas2008 124.jpg
Views: 5468
Size:  115.7 KB
    Do gooder since April 26, 2009!

Post Thanks / Like

Ill have to see if i can find some of them here in louisiana and give em a try.
    I PRACTICE CATCH & FRY---DONT EVERYBODY ? Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

Not cheap and in a bind you can get rosie reds at Petco or Petsmart
    Jig & Ellie are my green headed corn grinder finders.

R.I.P Jig dog

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to add red food coloring and see what that does for me.
    Thank You,
    Mathieu

"Since there is a rule that states "i" before "e" except after "c", wouldn't "science" be spelled wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

could be rosies or just small goldfish..
    Crazy Angler Tackle
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff
    Tracker Marine Pro Staff
    www.nathankincade.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rosies vs Shiners

Quote Originally Posted by DC Crappie Kid View Post
    Bait Shops here in NC mix the rosies and shiners together in same tank and price is the same regardless as such. Rosies do seem to be a tad smaller in most cases. As for fish catching I have found both work equally here. If the fish are biting and taking minnows color does not seem to matter much. I will add however that the rosies seem to be a bit livlier (active when hooked) which is something I do really like about them.

PG

Post Thanks / Like

A albino fathead is what the rosie's are.

TT