Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Power steering fluid - mechanical question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Power steering fluid - mechanical question

This may be "off-topic", but I couldn't find another place in the forum where it seemed to fit...

My Skeeter has a BayStar(or SeaStar, I forget the model) "power steering" device built into the steering wheel shaft. It must have a very slow leak/drip, as now I have to turn the wheel part way around before the engine responds. Sounds like there is air in the "pump" that is built into the dashboard so it must need fluid added and a leak addressed once found.

Questions:
    1) Is there a special type of steering fluid that I need? I saw Mercruiser fluid at Cabelas the other day, but this isn't the model I have.
    2) Can somebody point me to a set of directions to complete this process properly? I assume that the air has to be "bled" from the lines somehow similar to bleeding the brakes on a car?

Any advice appreciated !!
    Thanks,
    Ralph
    Teach your kids to hunt and fish and you won't have to hunt for your kids !!

Post Thanks / Like

You'll have to refer to Seatech for the procedure, but do not run the boat at speed until you get it fixed. Steering issues are not something to be trifled with. Here'sa link to some good info:
    http://www.seatechmarineproducts.com..._Reference.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty sure that sea star has their own line of fluid for their steering systems.The paperwork that comes with the system should show you the proper procedures for bleeding the system.

Post Thanks / Like

Ralph I would find a competent dealer in your area. I had dealer install mine on my new Crestliner and there is a special pump they use to bleed and add fluid to the lines. Saves a lot of time, mess and headaches...
    CC
    "Guns have only two enemies rust and politicians."

Post Thanks / Like

Sea star hydraulic fluid is recommended, however the following can be used as well. Texaco H015,Aero shell fluid #41, esso univis N15, Cheveron aviaiton fluid A, Mobil Aero HFA, fluids meeting mil H5606 specs, or Automatic transmission fluid Dexron II may be used in an emergency. A leak should be easy to locate, check fitting coming off the pump, as well as the wiper seals and fittings on the cylinder.Once you located and addressed the leak, you'll need to bleed the system. This is done by turning the wheel as far as it can and then opening the bleeder on the cylinder, then turning it the oppposite direction and repeating.If you need additonal details let me know.PJ

Post Thanks / Like

GREAT replies, Folks !
    Thank you very much.

I messed with it last night and think I solved the leak - there was some wiggle in the way the unit was mounted to the back of the dash and I guess the fittings just worked loose a tiny bit over time (darn waves).

I bought the boat 2nd hand (hey, it was NEW to me!), and didn't get any literature/directions on the steering, but will try to get some through the manufacturer. But if I need a special pump or something, I'll probably just be better off taking it to a dealer so I don't end up making any sudden sharp turns when the boats doing 65.

Thanks again,
    Ralph
    Teach your kids to hunt and fish and you won't have to hunt for your kids !!