Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie.com Fall Brawl Crappie Tournament - Dates

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Crappie.com Fall Brawl Crappie Tournament - Dates

The dates for the 2004 Fall Brawl Crappie Tourney and Fish Fry Buffet Social will be Oct 16th & 17th.

As usual, I will post and update a listing of all contributing Sponsors. A Rules and Regulations/Entry form will be forthcoming. It will be posted here, so that interested parties can print it off and send it in.

For those of you who are relative newcomers, or who have no idea what I am referring to ...... here's a short rundown:

Every Spring & Fall we have a Crappie tournament at Watts Bar Lake, in East TN. The "Spring Fling" and "Fall Brawl" tournies are held out of Eden Marina and Campground. This is the weigh-in site ... you are allowed to launch from any site on the lake, and are on your honor to obey the launch time rules. These tournaments are for prizes only - NO MONEY will be awarded and NO ENTRY FEE will be collected. The only money collected will be a $10 per two person team "fee" ... for those anglers who will be attending the Fish Fry Buffet Social. The Fish Fry will occur on the day following the tournament - the tourney's are on Sat's ... the Fry's are on Sun's (around 2PM). It is not mandatory to attend the Fish Fry ... and those who register as "not attending" will not be required to submit the fee. Everyone participating in the tourney IS encouraged to attend - it's a fun time and you get a chance to meet and mingle with the other anglers. The "fees" are used, in their entirety, to purchase items needed to cook, prepare, or serve the meal.
    Sponsoring companies and individuals are contacted, and donations are received from them ... sometimes including, but not limited to: rods, decals, jewelry, scents, hats, shirts, and baits of various kinds. Donated prizes will be seperated into prize packages, in desending amounts, to cover as much of the field as possible - and still maintain a decent amount of items to split between both team members. Depending on the amount of Sponsors we have, and the generosity of their donations, this can amount to 50-100% of the entire field of entrants. On occasion, we even have a few "blind draw" prize packages - usually given out to those entrants that did not place high enough in the field to get a prize (in the event we have an exceptionally large field and not enough prizes to cover all places) ... or they can be "extra" prizes, received in addition to any "place" prizes received (when we do have enough to adequately cover the field, and then some).

The Fall Brawl tourney time of mid Oct is a great vacation time ... the weather is cooling, the leaves are turning colors, and the fish are usually in their "pre-winter feeding mode". "Shooting" docks with light weight jigs, casting jigs to timber, and drifting minnows or jigs over brushpiles are the usual methods that work during that time. Minimum size limit on fish is 10 inches - and weigh-in creels are 10 fish per boat. The average fish is generally close to a 1 pound fish, with some 2lb or larger fish brought in by some lucky anglers.

After reading the Rules & Regulations/Entry form .... you will have a better idea of how the whole thing works. Any remaining questions can & will be answered - by any of the tourney Officials, or can be addressed here on this board.

COME JOIN US for some great fishing, great eating, and great times with other Crappie fishing fanatics. See you there ........luck2ya ........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Watts Bar

For those who may want to come to Fall Brawl, what's the nearest town, and is there camping or motels close by? Sounds like a good time but I'm in the far N.E. of Pennsylvania. If I could drive down in one day without an overnite stay on the way it might be doable for me. Thanks Ron

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Places to stay ....

Shellback, there are several "camps", "resorts", and "rooms" available around the lake. Most of the towns, in the immediate vicinity, are small rural towns with limited facilities (a few restaurants, grocery stores, and the occasional "motel"). There are campsites and RV spots at Eden, but a limited number of rooms or campers to rent. Eden has no restaurant on site, but there are several available within a short drive - and meals can also be cooked in the rooms/campers. Arrowhead Resort is a couple of miles down the road - has a number of rooms & cabins, and a restaurant on site ... plus a launch ramp & docking facilities. Bayside Marina has the same amenities - but is on the other side of the lake and a few miles up the lake from Eden (by water). There are a few "resort" style camps on the lake, down towards the dam area - but I really can't tell you much about them, as I haven't actually stayed at one. Generally, on my trips to Watts Bar Lake, I've stayed in the "rooms" and "cabins" of some of the Marina's or Campground type facilities....you know, the $45-$55 a night places (with two beds, shower, fridge, TV) - the "basics" !
    A topo map of the lake will show you the layout of the lake, roads around the lake, towns in the immediate vicintity of the lake, and give you the names of the various sites on the lake - you can then look them up on-line and find out their price ranges and available amenities.

FYI - I did a "Mapquest" search for a ballpark figure on distance/travel time - from Scranton PA to Spring City TN (town close to Eden Marina) - it says about 12hrs travel time (about 720mi), most of which is on I-81 South (over 600mi worth). That's doable in one day, for a "road warrior", averaging 60 mph ... but I'd tend to think it would take a bit longer (I generally estimate "travel time" by dividing the distance by an average road speed of 50mph - which would mean closer to 15hrs travel time). That doesn't take into account : stops for meals, gas, and the necessary "pit stops".

I don't want to sound discouraging - but, I personally would not make that long of a trip, unless it was for a week long vacation stay. I estimate it would cost 2 people around $800 for a roundtrip of that distance and a weeks lodging & meals (that's $2 gas at 20mpg, food, lodging, & fishing licenses). My partner and I usually make it a 3day trip - and we're only 3.5hrs away. We estimate the cost at $50/day/person for a three day trip (including all costs). That's a basic "shoestring" budget trip (room for 2nights, gas for truck & boat, liscenses, and food - which is a light Breakfast, sandwiches/chips/pop in the boat for Lunch, and a restaurant meal for Supper).

If you, or anyone else reading this, have any other questions or concerns - feel free to air them out here on the forum, or contact me, or contact Don York of Eden Marina & Campground. ..........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fall Brawl

Thanks CP, I'm another hour above Scranton and I plugged Spring City into my road program and it came up with 13.5 hours at 60MPH. I don't mind running hard for 10 hours on the road, but 13.5 is a little too much for the wife and dragging a boat also. Maybe a hard drive on the Friday before, and a couple hours early Sat. AM could put me there in time for the fishing, but I'd be showing up blind, never having been there before. I'd have to get a lake map and pick alot of brains before the trip I suppose. Those local accomodations sound alright to me, we live back in the country on a dirt road, so we ain't used to nothing fancy! Took the wife tent camping late last March for her first time ever at 55 y/o, she handled it like a soldier!
    It sure sounds like it would be a great time there, I have to keep it in mind and as the date gets closer, I'll see if it's something workable for me. Thanks, Ron

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Shellback

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback
    Thanks CP, I'm another hour above Scranton and I plugged Spring City into my road program and it came up with 13.5 hours at 60MPH. I don't mind running hard for 10 hours on the road, but 13.5 is a little too much for the wife and dragging a boat also. Maybe a hard drive on the Friday before, and a couple hours early Sat. AM could put me there in time for the fishing, but I'd be showing up blind, never having been there before. I'd have to get a lake map and pick alot of brains before the trip I suppose. Those local accomodations sound alright to me, we live back in the country on a dirt road, so we ain't used to nothing fancy! Took the wife tent camping late last March for her first time ever at 55 y/o, she handled it like a soldier!
    It sure sounds like it would be a great time there, I have to keep it in mind and as the date gets closer, I'll see if it's something workable for me. Thanks, Ron
    We live close to I-81(exit 84) in VA. We are 4 1/2 hours from Eden which is an easy drive. You & your wife could leave on Thursday, spend the night with us and leave Friday morning. I will have to check on the VA laws first. I think harboring Yankees is a misdemeanor and carries a pretty strick sentence. You would have to come in after dark & leave before daylight and that shouldn't be a problem...lol...

DonG USN HS-3 USS Intrepid & USS Wasp 1960-1963
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Shellback!

Shellback, my wife and I live in S.W. Missouri and for the last two Watts Bar tournaments we have driven further than anybody else to get there.

It's a 12 hour drive for us - and the first time we did it all in one go. Since then, we have been making an easy day-and-a-half drive of it.

I can tell you this - IT'S WORTH THE TRIP. Great people, great country, and great fishing. Last fall I almost had the big fish with a 2-pound crappie. This spring, my partner and I came in third with 10 fish weighing about 14 pounds. Even better than the fishing are the good, friendly people you're going to meet.

JoAnn and I aren't going to make it this fall, unfortunately. We need to go to California about that time, and two big trips in the same month would be too much. But - we will go in the future, any chance we get.
    ------------------------------
    Hey, you Navy guys. I wasn't IN the Navy, but I started grade school while we were living in Navy Housing in San Diego in 1951. Dad was on the U.S.S. Klondike, a destroyer tender there. I got to punch a Lt. Commander's kid in the nose, once. Does that let me qualify for yer club? - Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Default You Bet!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam W.
    Shellback, my wife and I live in S.W. Missouri and for the last two Watts Bar tournaments we have driven further than anybody else to get there.

It's a 12 hour drive for us - and the first time we did it all in one go. Since then, we have been making an easy day-and-a-half drive of it.

I can tell you this - IT'S WORTH THE TRIP. Great people, great country, and great fishing. Last fall I almost had the big fish with a 2-pound crappie. This spring, my partner and I came in third with 10 fish weighing about 14 pounds. Even better than the fishing are the good, friendly people you're going to meet.

JoAnn and I aren't going to make it this fall, unfortunately. We need to go to California about that time, and two big trips in the same month would be too much. But - we will go in the future, any chance we get.
    ------------------------------
    Hey, you Navy guys. I wasn't IN the Navy, but I started grade school while we were living in Navy Housing in San Diego in 1951. Dad was on the U.S.S. Klondike, a destroyer tender there. I got to punch a Lt. Commander's kid in the nose, once. Does that let me qualify for yer club? - Sam

You better believe it! You are hereby bestowed the honorary rank of Lt. Commander and all the priveleges and authority in the realm of your station. Carry on,Sir!! And good luck with your next foray to sea (or your next fishing trip!).

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello Don

Quote Originally Posted by DonG
    We live close to I-81(exit 84) in VA. We are 4 1/2 hours from Eden which is an easy drive. You & your wife could leave on Thursday, spend the night with us and leave Friday morning. I will have to check on the VA laws first. I think harboring Yankees is a misdemeanor and carries a pretty strick sentence. You would have to come in after dark & leave before daylight and that shouldn't be a problem...lol...

DonG USN HS-3 USS Intrepid & USS Wasp 1960-1963
    Hello Don, Thanks for the offer and I'll have to work out a plan for the trip and see if it can happen. If it's any consulation, you would only have to harbor one yankee, the wife was born and raised in Jacksonville, FL. All her kin are from N.C. or GA. The fall brawl sounds like a good time to be had and I'll have to work on getting down to it. Sounds like the festivities are centered around the Eden Marina and campground, is that so? I imagine the rooms there fill up fast. Thanks, Ron

Post Thanks / Like

CP, Thanks for the info and also for reviving the forum. See you all at the Brawl.
    B&Z

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Entry Form for Fall Brawl Crappie Tournament

2004 Fall Brawl Crappie Tournament
    Hosted By Eden Marina & Campground
    Tournament Date - October 16th
    Fish Fry Buffet Social - October 17th at 2:00 PM

TOURNAMENT SITE: WATTS BAR LAKE ONLY
    TOURNAMENT HOURS : Start 0730 - WEIGH IN AT 3:30 PM

RULES & REGULATIONS

1. Only 2 anglers per boat. No sharing of fish between boats.
    2. Anglers must fish from a boat and remain in the boat while fishing.
    3. Horsepower, Will Not exceed the horsepower regulations set by the U.S. Coastguard
    4. Safe conduct must be observed at all times by each contestant. Each person is required to wear a Coastguard approved chest type life jacket at all times during the operation of the combustion engine. All boats must be equipped with some type of approved ignition kill device, and this device attached to the person operating the boat.
    5. Sportsmanship, courtesy, safety and conservation is expected from each contestant. Absolutely No Alcohol or Drugs will be permitted in the boat.
    6. Artificial or live bait will be permitted.
    7. All Crappie must be caught in a sporting like manner and kept in an aerated condition until weigh-in. Minimum size limit will be 10 inches measured with the mouth closed/tail squeezed, and only 10 fish will be allowed to be brought to the scales. You may cull your fish at the dock to determine your 10 largest fish. NO DEAD FISH WILL BE WEIGHED
    8. You may launch your boat at any launch site on Watts Bar Lake, but you must be back at Eden Marina & Campground by 3:30 PM. Contestants late for the weigh-in will be penalized at a rate of 1 pound for every 15 minutes late.
    9. Ties will be settled by the toss of a coin.
    10. Decisions made by the tournament officials will be final in all matters.
    11. We will have a fish fry on Sunday following the tournament at 2:00 PM
    12. There will be a $10 per boat registration fee, ONLY IF YOU PLAN TO EAT.

By my signature below to this entry form, I certify that I have read, understand and agree to abide by the rules of this tournament. I hereby waive and release the Officials, Hosts, Sponsors, Agents, State, City and County Governments and all other contestants from any and all claims of injury, material & bodily damage incurred in connection with this tournament.
    Sign: ______________ Date:_______ Sign: _______________ Date:_____
    Please check the appropriate box for the Sunday Fish Fry
     We will stay for the Sunday Fish Fry  We will not stay for the fish fry
    SIGNED ENTRY FORMS AND REGISTRATION FEE MUST BE RETURNED TO EDEN MARINA - 653 SCENIC LAKEVIEW DR. - SPRING CITY, TN. 37381
    Ph # 423-365-6929 ... e-mail, [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast