Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig Under a Bobber

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig Under a Bobber

In the last year or so, I've started trying to use jigs. Up until then I've always used minnows. I see references to using a jig under a bobber and wonder how it's done. Do you just cast it out and let it sit, cast it out and twitch it now and then, or cast it out and reel it back in? Looking forward to hearing how this is done. Thanks.

Jim
    Likes fishing4me LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You can do all of the things you listed with it, that's why it's so popular. If you want to let it sit, I wouldn't wait more than a few minutes without moving it. But sometimes you might not need to move it more than 5-10 feet to get a bite.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jimdiana,

I use a jig under a WAGGLER bobber 90% of the time. Other times I'll use a CIGAR shaped bobber. Here are drawings of my presentations. Here is another great bobber idea.

This has worked very well for me for the past few years. Thought I'd share it on the forum.

It does not matter if you are presenting live bait, tube or a jig. The truth to the matter is it works. A slip bobber will let you adjust your depth to a level where the fish seem to be holding. Some individuals set their depth about a foot above the brushpiles.

I am usually in about10 to 12 feet of water. As a general rule I may set my depth at 3 to 4 feet to start out with. Remember crappies will look up for food and the will feed up! Rarely will they look down for a meal or chase a bait very far. The key is to fish it slow. Let the waves impart action to the jig below. When you think you are fishing it slow, then slow down some more.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 05-09-2008 at 07:03 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Let the fish tell ya. Sometimes they'll hit stationary bait, sometimes they want it moving. I've gotten plenty of fish while just reeling in to recast. I love bobber fishing, though. Nothing like the thrill of seeing that bobber go under. What a rush!

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,

I'm a waggler fan, too -- very fun and effective way to fish. You should contact Tony Forte. He's probably the best float (bobber) fisherman in Indiana (and he's a very nice guy.) He mostly uses floats with live bait.

His contact info is at the bottom of the page here:

http://www.inbankanglers.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiepalooza is wright, The fish will tell ya. I have been getting them in cold water as of late with a violent jerk, Thats the only way they would hit it.( A reaction strike on inactive fish) I tell you this so you will keep a open mind as to the action you put on the jig, you just never know how they want it on any givin day.
    Biguns only:D

Post Thanks / Like

I fish clear water and you have to stay back away and cast in. So what we do is use a rig like shipahoy talked about and this will let you cast a good distance. Cuz all your riggin is close to the end of the line. Yet you are fishin 5 or 6ft or deeper. And you can jig your jig and keep it in the same spot even if it 30ft away from the boat. This also work very well for bank fishin.

To me the biggest thing about it is that you can make good long cast and still work your jig in the zone beside just reeling it in.

Slipcork
    Klipsch Speakers
    Crestron
    Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Late summer early fall its the main way i fish for perch on IATT Lake here in central Louisiana.I fish em over grass beds in the opening in the cypress trees.The jig is about 15 to 18 inches under the cork.Cast out and start jerking the cork in about a foot at a time.I dont waste any time in one spot.I have a lot of fun doing this and get some nice catches that time of year with this method.I use a rattling cork thats commonly used for coastal salt water fishing,But any kind of cork will work.
    I PRACTICE CATCH & FRY---DONT EVERYBODY ? Thumbs Up