PDA

View Full Version : MOON---is it just cheese

FROSTY
03-03-2008, 11:26 PM
I have heard from time to time the moon has an effect on fishing. I know you wean your babies in the sign of the moon, get your hair cut,plant crops and so on. I have no idea what to look for, have heard 3 days before and after full moon were good times to fish,but have also heard they feed all night in light of moon and not good fishing during that time. I'm sure there is some better information that will help me understand what to look for. Thanks for your help, and knowledge!!:)

kab
03-03-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm looking forward to the answers for this question too Frosty.I'm sure these guys have some great insite on this subject.

Speck
03-04-2008, 07:15 AM
Friends of mine and I used to plan our Sardis trips according to the weekend closest to the full moon in March. We always did pretty good. I don't know if it had anything to do with the fishing but its a fact that the moon controls the tides so maybe theres something to it.

Nitro
03-04-2008, 08:18 AM
I have heard from time to time the moon has an effect on fishing. I know you wean your babies in the sign of the moon, get your hair cut,plant crops and so on. I have no idea what to look for, have heard 3 days before and after full moon were good times to fish,but have also heard they feed all night in light of moon and not good fishing during that time. I'm sure there is some better information that will help me understand what to look for. Thanks for your help, and knowledge!!:)

FROSTY, as the moon rotates around the earth the pull of the moon has such gravitational pull it affects the earths gravitation. NO thats not it. If you want to know what to look for, look for a car driving past you real slow and kids with there hinie hanging out the window. I hope this helps you understand what a full moon is and what effects it has on you. Now you will know what to look for. :p:p:p:p:D:D

bugman
03-04-2008, 08:22 AM
I've always heard the same 3 days before and after is the best times for big fish especially around the spawn,other than that i really don't pay very much attention to the moon,probably should because it affects everything else.

KCBALLER
03-04-2008, 08:43 AM
my take on this is ....... just get out there and fish !!! if ya knock on enough doors someone will buy what your selling.
i dont belive in moon, charts ect. i belive in myself, i belive i can catch fish everytime i go out, and i do, sometimes just not keepers or 3 pounders. but hey im on the water fishing and learning with each trip.
so the next time your wondering if its a good day to be on the water.... HELL YES !! NOW GET OUT THERE AND FISH !!

Crappie Chatt
03-04-2008, 09:00 AM
Give me steady temps:cool:, constant water levels and light winds!!! I don't:rolleyes: even care :confused:what the heck the moon is doing when this happens. Fish will be bitin'. :D:p:D:p:D:p JMO <*)}}}><

mark lo
03-04-2008, 09:34 AM
I fish with a guy that always knows what the astro tables say. I will have to pick his brain a little more, and post what I learn.

old fuzzy
03-04-2008, 12:35 PM
i have been led to believe that most all game will hatch or give birth at the phases of the full moon,,just b-4 /during /and just after,,,,may be wrong but do know that crayfish hatch at each full moon

barn dog
03-04-2008, 01:27 PM
There are actually two moon phases full moon and dark of the moon and both are usually associated with catching of big fish or better fishing. There are many fish records caught around these phases. If you look at the solar tables printed in sporting magazines you will see they predict the best times to be 3 days before and 3 days after the moon phases. The moon phases affects everything on the planet in one form or another.

Rick

Bob # 1
03-04-2008, 01:30 PM
I've heard somewhere

"Bad day of fishing, is better than working"

PS
Forget the moon

Bob # 1
03-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Here try this........next best thing to a moon full of cheese.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/reference/solunar/calendars/

Kit Papermouth
03-04-2008, 04:21 PM
(In my best R. Lee Ermey voice)

Ten hut!

You maggots (retired fellas) perform a study on this.
l expect a full report at the fall camp.

Dimissed!

G.

drfishjd
03-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Actually, the guys at In-Fishing magazine did an article on this very issue several years ago. They logged catches and planned trips to check all moon phases. If I remember right, it involved 100-150 anglers and analyzed the number of fish they caught and the moon phase. They said that a couple of days before and after the full moon produced the most fish, followed by a couple of days before and after the dark of the moon. The next most productive overall phase was the day of the half moon, which was not as good as full or dark. I don't remember whether they got into day versus night fishing on the full or dark moons. I've heard that fish feed at night on a full moon and during the day on the dark of the moon, but I'm not sure if I buy it or not. I have caught tons of smallmouth fishing the Big Piney river on the dark of the moon. It seems to me that fish can see, hear, and taste pretty well in either condition. I think the article also discussed solunar periods and supported them as periods of activity. I'm with Chatt, though, that this is certainly secondary to other conditions, such as water color, stable weather (just give me three days in a row of stable weather and I'm happy - raining or shining.) water temp, etc. 3 days to go. YYYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

beagle man
03-04-2008, 06:14 PM
I have done extensive research on the moon subject,and as long as there is a moon we all will catch fish,,,, day or night. m2cw

KCBALLER
03-05-2008, 08:58 AM
I have done extensive research on the moon subject,and as long as there is a moon we all will catch fish,,,, day or night. m2cw

im with ya there beagle, as long as the sun comes up i think we all have a chance at catching fish !!:D

barn dog
03-05-2008, 10:05 AM
The weather is a big factor in my fishing. If it's nasty out I stay home if it's nice i'll go. I have 7 days a week to choose from Oh to be retired.

Rick

KCBALLER
03-05-2008, 10:37 AM
The weather is a big factor in my fishing. If it's nasty out I stay home if it's nice i'll go. I have 7 days a week to choose from Oh to be retired.

Rick

way to rub it in rick !!!:(:(

KCMO CRAPPIESLAYER
03-05-2008, 02:58 PM
just get out and go when you can is what i say:D

Kit Papermouth
03-05-2008, 03:10 PM

Rick

Rubbin' it in again Barn.

Listen to him. He thinks he has seven days to choose from.

These guys are busier retired than they were when they were working.

G.

KCBALLER
03-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Just Plain Wrong Isnt It !

drfishjd
03-05-2008, 03:48 PM

Rick

2 more days, Rick. I think our paths are fixin to cross again. I'm looking forward to it. You'll have to teach me the finer points of retirement, seeing as how I'm a rookie, and it may take some getting used to.

barn dog
03-05-2008, 07:40 PM
The first thing you do is get a calander fill in all the days your going fishing or you think you'll go. This way when the wife ask's you to do some thing you show her the calander and tell her to find an open date or you'll let her know of a cancelation. Save the home projects for bad weather or weekends when the weekend warriors are out on the lakes. It's tough to go out on a lake and just see other fisherman enjoying the peace and quiet of a beautiful work day for everyone else.
I'm shure we'll get together for a few trips. Here's to your retirement NITT NITT NITT
RICK

old fuzzy
03-05-2008, 08:56 PM
You Will Enjoy It Jim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

osagemo
03-07-2008, 09:49 PM
I know it affects animals. I've read, like Bugs said, that if affects the spawn. I've actually took my vacation to coincide with it in the spring with mixed results. I do believe in the solar tables somewhat also.