Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: asking the pros

Post Thanks / Like

Default asking the pros

on a 75 to 100 acre lake that is full of crappie and has a lot of brush and is full of stumps is about 15 foot deep but mostly 2 to 6 how would you fish it the name of the lake is shell city north i catch alot when there spawning on the rocks but cant catch them now the water is really muddy i really need help with this if i could get some help it would be nice

Post Thanks / Like

I'd try channel edges and any of the steeper dropoffs you can find.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

old crank phone.....check E - bay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drfishjd View Post
    I'd try channel edges and any of the steeper dropoffs you can find.
    We're assuming you have a boat.
    75 acres is a pretty good little lake.
    Dip the deepest stumps near any transition areas.
    Minnow right up against them.

Drfish has the right idea.

If you don't have a boat, you'll have to hit them on warm days when the move shallow with the forage.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

now that would be wrong come on guys i really need help depth color the best way to fish for them something will help i guess the only way to learn is to have a torurnament for charity and pay out of my pocket for the big fish and 10 fish stringer and watch and learn

Post Thanks / Like

I caught 8 nice ones yesterday in a small lake. Small piece of worm and cork fished about 3 ft deep in a valley that dumps into the lake. If you can have the wind in your face it helps. They were about 2ft. to about 10ft away from the bank.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by short boat View Post
    now that would be wrong come on guys i really need help depth color the best way to fish for them something will help i guess the only way to learn is to have a torurnament for charity and pay out of my pocket for the big fish and 10 fish stringer and watch and learn
    You'd make millions if you could find a book that would tell you what depth, lure and color to use on what day. No body is holding out on you here. That's why it's called fishing and not catching.
    Patterns change daily, sometimes hourly. What worked in the morning doesn't work in the afternoon. What worked yesterday may not work today.
    You have to get out there or know others that fish a lake often to figure out the patterns.

When we catch them, we post what color depth and technique worked best for us on that particular lake.
    If you take a look at the postings, you'll find that different methods and depths were working on the same lake the same day.

Basic small impoundment rule is Winter cold depth breaks near the deepest holes near structure. You can never go wrong with live bait.
    Put out a bobber and work start at 3ft and work your way down in an area. Cast a jig or vertical jig while the bobber sits.

Muddy water / Dark Day use a dark color (Black / Brown / Dark Blue)
    Stained to clear water or bright day use a lighter color. (White / Orange / Yellow / Pink / Light Blue)
    Black and Chartruese and Lime and Chartruese are good colors to start with cuz they cover both ends of the spectrum.

Sunny days when the water warms the bait fish will move into the areas where the plankton are developing and feed. Crappie will follow them in. After about 50 degree water, the chemicals in the Crappies kick in to start feeding in preparation for the spawn.

Over 58 degrees it's party time and you can sock the males.
    Keep in mind small impoundments warm quickly.

Good Luck.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cook View Post
    old crank phone.....check E - bay

RING EM UP AND START NETTING.

Post Thanks / Like

Kit....Very good information! Thanks for taking the time. I know it will help me. Good Fishin & GOOD CATCHIN.
    I just KNOW it was a big one!!!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

well said kit
    Supreme Leader of the Missouri Crappie Militia.........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast