Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie baits

letsgofishing Guest

Default Crappie baits

Hey all, I am mostly a surf fisher, but I have recently bought a 17' jon and am ready to try my hand at some of the beautiful crappie that are at Jordan and Harris. I now minnows are always a favorite, but what kind/colors of jigs work well at these lakes?
    How do you guys fish these jigs, cork or tight line or what?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to crappie.com. I don't know your lakes, but crappie fishing is fairly similar no matter where you fish depending on the type of fishing style you prefer, casting, jigging, spider rigging, trolling, live bait, bobber fishing, or whatever you like. What I suggest are 2 things. Scroll back over the last couple weeks of posts because we have had several others ask the same questions you are and we have covered a lot of stuff in those threads. Then learn how to use the search when you decide what particular style of fishing you prefer and you will find a massive amount of discussion on any topic your interested in.

Don't hesitate to ask specific questions. We are a helpful bunch. I also suggest posting on the forum for your state. Your likely to find locals that can help you target your local fish.

I like to call this site Crappie University because you could get a doctorate of crappie angling just by reading the incredible amount of information there is here to be learned. Good luck in your search, and have fun.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 03-02-2008 at 06:10 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome letsgofishing, from Bowling Green KY.
    Take your kids hunting and fishing, and you won't be hunting your kids

Post Thanks / Like

Can't go wrong with the old stanby chartreuse and the many combinations of it. Get you a few 1.5" or 2" tubes and curlytails, some jigheads ranging from 1/32 to 1/8 ounce. That will cover most all your needs most of the time. Doesn't hurt to have other colors for different water conditions, but chartreuse seldom will let you down.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know those lakes, but some of my favorite spring time colors are hot orange/orange/yellow chartreuse, hot pink/green chartreuse/hot pink, green chartreuse/blue/green chartreuse, hot orange/coffee brown/yellow chartreuse, hot pink/white/hot pink, all white with tinsel, ect.
    I will usually cast them under a float to keep them at a specific depth and in the strike zone for as long as possible. If they're in shallow water I'll cast a lighter 1/32nd or 1/16th oz. jig.
    I tie my own, so if I can help you out with any, just shoot me a PM.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Illinois send welcomes, and good luck this year.
    Dave