Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider Rigging- What Should I Be Looking For?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Rigging- What Should I Be Looking For?

I Am Just Learning About Spider Rigging. When I Am Idling Around Looking For Where To Start Am I Looking For Drops, Flats, Brush, Fish , Or Baitfish On My Electronics? Or Do I Just Start Drifting Or Trollng Around Till I Get A Few Bites To See What I Should Be Doing? I Have Never Had Any Success With This Type Fishing And I Would Really Like To Learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish5 View Post
    I Am Just Learning About Spider Rigging. When I Am Idling Around Looking For Where To Start Am I Looking For Drops, Flats, Brush, Fish , Or Baitfish On My Electronics? Or Do I Just Start Drifting Or Trollng Around Till I Get A Few Bites To See What I Should Be Doing? I Have Never Had Any Success With This Type Fishing And I Would Really Like To Learn.
    I like to spider rig on flats with scattered stumps.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Right now i focus on the main creek channel drops as the water temp is still in the 40's. THis is where the old creek channel used to be before the area was flooded. Not sure if you are fishing man made lakes or not but if you are there are more than likely maps to get you close or you can use a GPS if you have one. I get my rods out and baited up and drop them to the bottom then pull up two cranks. This is where i start and i adjust from there. i ride the old creek edge which uselly will have stumps and rocks on the edge. I use a GPS so i can get pretty close to the edge and i just ride it out. I mark structure as i go and adjust my depth according to the depth finder readings. This is a slow troll (.3 to .6 MPH). AS the fish move up you just move with them in the spring. Stump flats are great. You can use minnows jigs or Road runnders. I normally speed up during this time and move to more of a fast troll method but i still use the spider rig technique.

Google spider rigging and you will get a lot of good info.
    Brush Buster

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks brush buster

i really appreciate the info. that will help out alot. at least i have some place to start trying. i have seen several boats in the lake that i plan to fish just out in open water. l have idled over where they were trolling and saw nothing special. i guess they are just trolling the flats. i will give it a try. thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

I spider rig brush piles most of the time. If the top of the brush pile is for say, 20ft. deep, I set my line depth at 19ft. I also throw a marker buoy out up wind. This gives you a visual marker, just like a stump, so you don't have to watch your depth finder and GPS all the time. When fishing over the channels, if the fish are running 20ft, I set my line dept at 19 ft. If there are fish down there I try not to move at all. It is best to point your boat up wind and bump your trolling motor to hold your position. Lead, hook and minnows work great for this tactic. Hope you do well. Let me know.
    AKA...T.Ferrell
    Give a man to fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll be in your fishing hole everytime you go.