Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filleting Crappie...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Filleting Crappie...

My buddy thinks I am wierd because when I fillet my slabs, I fillet one side and leave the other side on with the backbone. My dad always did crappie like this saying that way you get all the meat and flavor, and nothing is wasted. Does anybody else do this?
    For the Everlasting Glory of the Infantry.

alacat Guest

Default Actually...

I'd try to catch more than one at a time!

Post Thanks / Like

Nope- never tried it- I hate bones in my fish. I lose my enjoyment of eating when I trying to avoid swallowing a bone.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I would not call you wierd but I would say that you are loosing half the meat on the fish. If they are slabs you can easily filet both sides and cut the bone out after you get the filets off the fish.

I would suggest that you hang around the boat ramp at the fish cleaning station for a week and watch to see how everyone filets their fish. With the advent of electric filet knives it's much easier to clean the fish and get all the meat off the bones.

We have discussed this many times in here and if you do a site search on this subect you will find lots of good information on how to clean fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch
    My buddy thinks I am wierd because when I fillet my slabs, I fillet one side and leave the other side on with the backbone. My dad always did crappie like this saying that way you get all the meat and flavor, and nothing is wasted. Does anybody else do this?
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I concur with Moose. Fillet both sides with an electric knife, available in both 110 and 12 v. Then cut out the rib cage if the fillet is big enough. If not, fry it whole and eat up to the bones.
    MMM, MMM, Good!!

Post Thanks / Like

dutch, thats the way i like to do it. take a fillet off one side, and leave the other side intact with the tail and backbone. that way you can cook the tail, which is my favorite part of fried fish. remove the rib bones on the fillet and you got a piece of fish for the finesse eaters and a piece for those that like the tail. intact.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Hey Dutch ...

I'm wondering if "Dad" was referring to the "flavor" provided by the skin of the Crappie. A skinless filet will have a very mild taste to it, and is subject to taking on the "flavor" of whatever coating is used. But, with the skin still attached, the "oils" of the skin give it a "sweet, nutty" taste ... and without any heavy flavored coatings. I prefer to cook my fish "still intact" (minus head, scales, innards), and coat them with yellow Corn Meal - and fried in a iron skillet (the way my Grandmother did). The "other" people, that eat the fish I catch (family members & select friends) , prefer the boneless filets. I normally use a electric filet knife to clean most of my catches .. and with a little practice, you can remove all but the slightest bit of meat from the fish. I just keep a "token" number of fish for myself (scaled and cleaned version) ... but, if I run out of those, I'll just get out some of those filets !! I like the Southern Star Fish Fry Seasoning by Alferi, for coating filets. It was a pretty big hit with the Fish Fry Buffet Social crowd at one of our tourneys !!
    Ain't nothin "weird" about passing on "traditions" (parents to their children, grandparents to their grandchildren) ... any more than it's weird to start up new ones :D ............. luck2ya ............cp

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i too like fish scaled de head and gutted . the bone seams like it gives a better flavor . even beef or pork and chicken is better if it has bone in it while cooking .
    cooking fish i just meal and deep fry . never stick a fork in the fish use tongs or a basket . when you stick a fork in to fish while frying they will soak up grease . papasage
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwainGang
    Nope- never tried it- I hate bones in my fish. I lose my enjoyment of eating when I trying to avoid swallowing a bone.
    I agree with TwainGang, I like just the filet, I REALLY don't like the possibility of having a bone in there, but some people swear it is 10x's better, I just don't think I will try that.
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up fillet for me..

..boneless fillet w/skin on cut into "fingers"...cooks fast, no mushy, or dry spots...deep fried in peanut oil ;with combo House Autry hush puppy mix and rough ground corn meal w/tarragon, dill, garlic pwdr, b.pepper, paprika, chives for flavor and color....yummy, yummy crappie in my tummy... :D
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast