Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Computer question

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Computer question

I currently use my computer in my garage. I have a wireless connection with a router on my wifes computer. I've noticed that my signal strength varies with the weather and I guess that is what slows everything down. I have access to several thousand feet of cat5 cable and have the equipment for terminating it. Would I be better off running a piece to the router from my puter? The run would be less than 100ft but a pain the arse to do. Anyone with any experience along these lines?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a frind that works with the telephone co. he hooked my pc to dsl and now he is hooking another at my office on dialup at no cost . it is a package deal with dsl dialup is free at the shop office . as far as the speed i realy dont ned it . i dont use internet that much at work . it is just for my record keeping and book work . it makes my office look better . more profeshional :D . thios friend of mine is great with computers . he has ben with altell for 30 years . he live telephone and computer . papasage
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

I have been in the computer networking for about 9 years now. In my opinion our connection to the DSL would not only be more reliable it woudl be more secure. By all means I woudl suggest running the CAT5. I hope this helps.
    Birddog,

I pray that I may live to fish until my dying day. And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray. When in the Lord's great landing net and peacefully asleep. That in His mercy I be judged, BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birddog
    I have been in the computer networking for about 9 years now. In my opinion our connection to the DSL would not only be more reliable it woudl be more secure. By all means I woudl suggest running the CAT5. I hope this helps.
    Thanks Birddog, I'm sitting here watching my connection go up and down from good to marginal. I'll be hard wiring it as soon as I can get to my attic.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Plan a fishing trip just before and one just after you do the wiring. Maybe that will help.
    Birddog,

I pray that I may live to fish until my dying day. And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray. When in the Lord's great landing net and peacefully asleep. That in His mercy I be judged, BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birddog
    Plan a fishing trip just before and one just after you do the wiring. Maybe that will help.
    Always does!!!!
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Wired is much faster than wireless. You'll notice a huge improvement in speed, not to mention security if you turn off your wireless router's radio. These advertised wireless speeds are waaay over rated.

I've been in IT for over 10 years. Good Lord, am I that old already?

Bowfin
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bowfin
    Wired is much faster than wireless. You'll notice a huge improvement in speed, not to mention security if you turn off your wireless router's radio. These advertised wireless speeds are waaay over rated.

I've been in IT for over 10 years. Good Lord, am I that old already?

Bowfin
    Absolutely that is correct, there is no interference with a hard-wired connection....
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>