Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Diamond Lake - Montezuma

Post Thanks / Like

Default Diamond Lake - Montezuma

Has anyone had any luck on this lake this year ice fishing? Heading that way this Tuesday to check it out. I know from the regulations it states you "cannot use minnows."

However, can one assume this means you cannot use live minnows? Can you use minnow heads? Or, they don't allow any part of minnow to be used?

Thanks in advance,

Waygate10

Post Thanks / Like

I have been told artifical only.
    Fish now, you'll be dead for a long time

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know the reason for this?

Post Thanks / Like

To keep un-wanted fish out of the lake.

Waygate10, There are some ring perch in there that should be in the 10-11" range now.

Tug Forks North Pond down at Lake Sugema had a good crappie bite on Sat. on Jigging Raps.
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, LeB. I'll see if I can score on some of the perch. I was going to try to target some crappie and try to setup for walleye night bite. Can't find good updated map but do have the basic one in Iowa Fishing Guide. Couple of spots look pretty sexy on map so will see what the vex has to say when I get there. How has the hard water season been for you? Good to hear you getting some down south? Hit Rathbun this year?

I was going to try for some of the walleyes in the lake and just have a lot of confidence using jigging spoon/minnow head.
    I totally understand why they don't want people to use live minnows and it turns my head everytime I see people dump their left over minnows in the lake when they are done for the day. I just thought a small bag of minnow heads might help the bite but I'll leave all minnows at home for this trip.

Is it OK to use waxies, spikes, and such or is it just plain artificial ONLY?

Waygate10

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lebruce View Post
    To keep un-wanted fish out of the lake.
    Thanks. But I would still be curious as to why Diamond is the only lake the DNR wants to keep unwanted fish out of. I just wonder if this is part of some kind of experiment they're running and what they're trying to find out in what sort of time frame. Or is Diamond just extra-susceptible to unwanted fish? (Not that I ever go there: electric motors only, no minnows...)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappiepalooza View Post
    Thanks. But I would still be curious as to why Diamond is the only lake the DNR wants to keep unwanted fish out of.
    Crappiepalooza,Iowa has quite a few no minnow lakes scattered about.I think Kent State Park is one By Iowa City and I know for sure Rodgers Lake by Vinton Ia. is one.These rules make it kinda tough for ice fishing for crappies in them,but I seem to have better luck using jigging raps in these places.
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Diamond Lake results were about 20 gills (pretty nice sized), 8 crappie which were paper thin, and one cat about 2lbs. All came on various jigs and waxies.

Pretty little lake but not sure I will go back for awhile as I missed using minnows and had a lot lookers but percentage of biters/lookers was low. If anyone is interested in gills let me know as you could probably have good day on them.

waygate10