Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout in St.Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trout in St.Joe

Heres the dealio
    small stocked pond at local college,4 trout limit,any method after feb.1

No clue how to catch them,but working doubles next 10 days,will get a 1-2 hour break,and its close by.

It is about 1 acre,small dock,still 50% iced up.

Suggestions?I got no problem dangling a worm,dabbing a jig,retrieving a spoon,heck-I think I even saw trout past,kinda like nibbles in a paste form.

Just want to try something new,never caught one in my life.

Post Thanks / Like

Its not real challenging, but i've found the most consistent way for me to catch fish is to get a can of corn or a jar of the power bait eggs. if you fish with corn, load the hook up with as many as you can fit on it, and put a weight a foot up the line. cast it, real in the slack and wait. use power bait the same way but you only need to use a couple of them, since they stay on better. this has worked for me on rivers and streams, never tried it in still water, but I assume it would work there too. Good luck.
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"

Post Thanks / Like

Try samon eggs or cheese

Post Thanks / Like

Try a rostertail, 1/32 or marabou Jig if you can cast it. 4 pound line. White, chart., red, whatever color, the roostertail will catch your first trout. Even a small rebel crank.

Post Thanks / Like

I will second the Rooster Tail. If they do not want something moving then try power bait. Small weight above a swivel with about 10" below it to a tint trebble hook. Chuck it and weight. When they hit you have to stick them pretty quick.

Post Thanks / Like

we use to go down to st.james mo and fish the meramec park,used velveeta cheese,,(a little dab will do you)1 nice think about the cheese is if you get skunked then at least you got something to munch on,,,
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by old fuzzy View Post
    we use to go down to st.james mo and fish the meramec park,used velveeta cheese,,(a little dab will do you)1 nice think about the cheese is if you get skunked then at least you got something to munch on,,,
    Years ago when I trout fished at Branson we used velveeta on a trible hook and just killed them. If I remember correcly, we would put a ball of cheese around the hook and then let it sit in the water on the side of the boat for about 15 seconds to firm it up and the cast it out and fish it on the bottom with a sinker about a foot up. We would chum with corn while fishing with velveeta cheese. Later, Ship
    Last edited by ship; 03-01-2008 at 05:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done alot of tight lining corn for trout. It works. Rainbows are a whole lot like gold plated catfish.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like cheese and corn is the ticket,followed by power bait

Post Thanks / Like

If all else fails, try ground fish food mixed with bread, a little water, no crust. Mix it where it falls apart easily. Put on small treble hook, split shot, and if needed 3/4 lb thread for clear water. Chum as needed...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast