Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rod and Reel, What Do You Guys Think

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Rod and Reel, What Do You Guys Think

Went to Wal-Mart today and picked up a 5' Berkley Cherrywood ultra light spinning rod for $11.00 on clearance and I had a Shakespeare Ultralight Spinning Reel that I got there this last year for real cheap. What do you guys think, will this be pretty good for using with jiggs? I know them crappie are going to be fun when I catch them on it.
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fish will like it, and especially what is on the end of the line. It should work for panfish.

Use 4-6 lb line and you are good to go.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a good matchup

My success in life is measured by the number of
    hunting and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

Post Thanks / Like

i'm a big fan of the cherry woods but watch that tip they snap pretty quick.
    other than that i used them for a long time trout fishing
    Life comes at you fast ... Better have a net...

Scott Beitzel----Western maryland

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Sounds like a winner ....

Quote Originally Posted by father of 4 View Post
    Went to Wal-Mart today and picked up a 5' Berkley Cherrywood ultra light spinning rod for $11.00 on clearance and I had a Shakespeare Ultralight Spinning Reel that I got there this last year for real cheap. What do you guys think, will this be pretty good for using with jiggs? I know them crappie are going to be fun when I catch them on it.
    FO4 ... I started with a 5ft UL outfit which I now use mostly as a dock shooter. For jig casting, I prefer a 7ft rod ... but, I didn't have any problems with the 5ft'r. In fact, using the 5ft rod is what got me into the habit of extra fast hooksets. When swimming a jig, there's a bit of slack line to contend with, along with the line stretch and pole bend ... and with the short rod, I had to set the hook by moving the rod/reel from in front of me (down by my waist) to above my shoulders ... using my arms :D (which meant I had to do it "fast" !!)
    Now that I mostly use 7-8ft rods to cast with ... I can accomplish the same effect, with mostly wrist action, and less arm movement. Even so, I still set the hook as "fast" as I do with a shorter rod.
    My fishing partner uses nothing but Cherrywoods, and he puts his share of fish in the boat.
    Sounds like you've got yourself a good little panfish outfit !! And you're right, they will be fun to catch on it

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I've got one and love it for throwing Roadrunners or jigs. Great rod for the money. Worth every penny.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good combo to me.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

You know I realized something today when I went to put the reel and rod together, I FORGOT TO BUY COTTON PICKING LINE!!!! I had plenty of 14 lb test line but no 6 lb. Man I am just 38 and already forgetfull. They say the last thing to go is the mind but I forgot what the first thing is.
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911

Post Thanks / Like

I used to buy the 5 footers when I fished out of a little 12 foot flatbottom or a 2 man float boat but I seem to favor the 6 1/2 footers now. This is only because I throw a lot of cork and jig rigs though. The 5 footers will be fine for just casting jigs. 4 lb and no heavier than 6 lb on the line.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

FO4, Try something else this go around. BPS has at least 2 types in 4 and 6 lb that are hi vis yellow. I gave about $5 for a 3000+ yard spool of 4 lb and have loved it. I see no significant difference from the Stren I used for years, and you'll see more hits than you ever thought possible. It was a good upgrade in my equipment. Now have it on all my 4lb outfits(I have at least 6). Just food for thought.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast