Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minner Tank @ House

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minner Tank @ House

Used a 55 gal drum from the car wash that had soap in it. Cut 2/3 of the top open and washed it out several times, let it dry and washed it out again. Filled it 3/4 full and let it sit for about 10 days. I made a filter from 2" pvc pipe filled with batting reduced to 3/4" and hooked to the INTAKE of a 900gph water pump. Also have an airstone in there. Placed about 20 test minnows in there and they have been living fine. Thinking of putting about 50 gal of water and 3 pounds of minners. Think that's too many?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Hey great Idea I have got a few drums laying around with no use. How much do you think that whole cost ya? What is the timer for?
    May have a problem this summer with Heat in the Garage???

get them nice and fat for our friends....
    Shawn Hines
    Now stationed in...
    Middle East

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have aquariums and remembered that surface area is critical, even with filtration. Your tank would be better if you could lay it on it's side somehow. That would provide more surface area for the fish. I did a quick search and found this:

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/be...a/fishcalc.htm

That should at least get you started.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not worried about this summer. If I can keep them I can keep them. If they die, I'll roll up the tank till the fall and just pay the .10-.12 ea for Med minners.

I got the drum free. I had the airstone and pump from an old aquarium I almost threw out and now know why I didn't. I had the water pump from an old pond my neighbor had in his yard for about a month. I paid $6 for the fittings to make the 2" pvc pipe reduce to 3/4". I have this all on the INTAKE for the water so everything is sucked together, no glue needed. When you want to change the filter, turn off pump, open pipe, remove batting put in new and roll with it. Batting is like $3 a bag but I got mine from a pillow.

I gotta go with height over width for back reasons. The tanks at the store here are similar in design as the drum but made from blocks.

I'm using a timer on the pump/filter so the fish can get a break from the current. When that pump turns on it gets some water moving-it's rated for 900gph.
    Last edited by sac-a-lait; 02-29-2008 at 07:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This may be a dum question. Do them minners breed. Are this to save un used minners.

Post Thanks / Like

no all this to buy them by the pound so at 4am or whenever I want to go I can pass by the closed bait shop. They don't open here till 5am. I think I can get them for about 1/2 the price I am paying and the convenience of having them RIGHT THERE READY TO GO. I want that and to save $$. What's wrong with that? I realized a long time ago that it shouldn't cost me $30-60 every time I want to go fishing for a few hours.

Post Thanks / Like

i believe you got it going your way.one trick i learned this year the minnows that you got left over from a fishing trip. don't pour um back in the tank put the bucket in the tank and let um swim out. be as gentle as you can with um. it's cuts down on dying minnows by a lot. john

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sac-a-lait View Post
    Thinking of putting about 50 gal of water and 3 pounds of minners.
    I just remembered: you need to get the chlorine out of the water. That will kill them FAST. You can either treat the water with a chemical, or just let it sit for a day or so before putting the minnows in.

Post Thanks / Like

your set up should work fine. i know a man that keeps minnows outside in an old sink with a little air pump like you would use in a minnow bucket. it probably only hold 10 gallons of water and i have seen him put 2 lb.s of minnow in it. he said he keeps them alive for weeks. just puts a little fish food in every day. i hope it works for you. you have the right idea saving money. the more you save today the more times you can afford to go. good luck and good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I know most people don't have acess to a pond but if you have a place you are fishing pretty regular you can get a 5 gallon bucket with lid, drill a bunch of holes with a 3/16th
    drill bit put in about 3 pounds of minnows, tie off to limb to simulate a limb line and sink the bucket with some rocks inside, I have been able to keep them alive for weaks, no feeding, no pumping, no hassle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast