Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ANISE scented baits? have you used them?

Post Thanks / Like

Default ANISE scented baits? have you used them?

I have had some plastic baits in the past that had anise scent in them. been awhile and cant remember how I liked them. lol I have some scent that I added to my go to color for my jelly belly jigs to see if it makes any difference. Has anyone had success with it?

Post Thanks / Like

It's been around and used for a very long time. Was a time that was about the only scent on worms and such.

All you have to do is let your soft plastic sit in it and it will take on the scent. No need to melt in in or anything like that.

Only problem is if the jig has chenille or a feather it will get soaked in.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Berkley Powerworms

Wow, we caught the heck out of the bass back in the early 90's on berkley powerworms. Man they stunk, but those little bass would hit them almost instantly when they hit the water.
    rco

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I will use an anise flavored scent inside a tube jig. I put a sponge inside the tube to soak up the scent and leave a trail in the water.

I learned this technique from my granddaddy. He liked to throw a version of the "kentucky Rig" and the "Carolina Rig" for White Bass and also for Catfish. He would use chicken hearts, chicken liver and all that stuff. One day, while Crappie fishing he saw a fellah down stream was still catching fish pretty good. They struck up a friendship and began to share ideas to attract fish.

Anyway, to make a long story short take something that floats like a "Water noodle" or a simple piece of a sponge. Cut off a tiny bit of it and stuff it inside a 1.5 or 2.0 inch tube. Cut off a tiny bit of cotton off a cotton ball. Shove this also up into that tube.

This does several things.

It gives the tube a "wedgie" and makes it stay on your bare hook or jig longer.

On a Carolina Rig setup it "Floats" your hook and tube up off the bottom wher the fish can grab it.

It serves as a home for your "Scent attractant" so you leave a scent trail for the fish to find your tube.

That is an "Attracting" and "Triggering" quality in a bait. It does not matter if you are suspending a tube under a float on a jig or going deep with a Carolina Rig.

Here is how I mix my "YIPPEE"

I use 3/4 cup of Peanut Oil
    1/4 cup of Annise (add some Vanilla flavoring)
    1 tsp Garlic Salt
    1 tsp fish meal (optional)
    1 tsp dried blood worms or tubiflex worms
    8 waxworms for added smell
    1/8 cup sardine oil (optional)

Mix all ingredients and store in a plastic jar or bottle. It will last three years on the shelf. Keep some in your tackle box. SHAKE WELL, then apply to your tube by using an eye dropper to saturate the cotton inside the tube. This has a pleasant scent and taste that all fiish love. When the fish bite they hold on just a little longer because it tastes like something alive.

As the oil base disburses from your bait into the water it carries with it the microfine particles of the other attractants in it. They rehydrate and send off an alarm to the fish that it's dinner time.

YIPPEE

Now, if you believe then no proof is necessary. If you do not believe, then no proof would be sufficient.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 02-28-2008 at 09:09 PM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Ship I never seen Vanilla anise, I always thought it smelled like liquorish? Or that is the only one I ever saw.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mix annise with a taste of vanilla. Works well.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 02-29-2008 at 07:48 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

when I cook it in the plastic it sure smells better than just cooking the plastic alone

Post Thanks / Like

Might have to give the sponge trick a shot

My success in life is measured by the number of
    hunting and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

Post Thanks / Like

years ago we use to put a piece of alka seltzer in a tube to create a bubble effect,,seemed to work back in the day
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Keith I have and do use worms that have anise in them and they work well. It helps for the fish to hold the bait longer. I would think you will like it....Dennis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast