PDA

View Full Version : Marabou vs. rubber - water temp

drfishjd
02-28-2008, 07:34 PM
I used to use alot of marabou jigs long ago, but have used mostly rubber lately. A fellow told me last summer that he uses rubber in the winter and doesnt use marabou until the water warms up above 70 degrees. I would have thought that the subtle pulse of a marabou jig would be better than rubber in cold water. What are your thoughts about when marabou or rubber is better?

deathb4disco
02-28-2008, 07:54 PM
I used to use alot of marabou jigs long ago, but have used mostly rubber lately. A fellow told me last summer that he uses rubber in the winter and doesnt use marabou until the water warms up above 70 degrees. I would have thought that the subtle pulse of a marabou jig would be better than rubber in cold water. What are your thoughts about when marabou or rubber is better?

I agree with you. I think marabou (or hair) is better in colder water. I think they're both pretty darn good in warmer water, too.

And you gotta say "plastic", not "rubber". :) You sound like a fly fisherman. ;)

shipahoy41
02-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Marabou does not stiffen up in cold water like some plastics do. It remains very active in the water with the slightest wave or water movement activating it. Yes, I will fish marabou year round.

I will use a plastic tube with sponge imbedded in it (to hold a fish attractant) as a backup plan.

drfishjd
02-28-2008, 11:14 PM
I agree with you. I think marabou (or hair) is better in colder water. I think they're both pretty darn good in warmer water, too.

And you gotta say "plastic", not "rubber". :) You sound like a fly fisherman. ;)

Oops. I'm not a fly fisherman. No disrespect to the fly guys. Some of my best buddies have gotten into fly fishing, and they won't touch a spinning reel anymore. Thanks for the info.