Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Salamonie update

Post Thanks / Like

Default Salamonie update

Howdy , Just got in from the salamonie and boy did it feel good to get out on the water again. Air temps were in the upper 60's with a moderate southerly wind. There must have been 15-20 boats on the water and everyone I talked to said they were catching alot of small ones and nothing big. My son and I only had a couple hours before sunset so we just spider rigged around some deep points and only picked up seven from 8 - 12 inches. The water temps ranged from 44 deg. to 47deg. Our fish were all caught on double rigged minnows tightlined under 12 foot rods. I think the fishing is only going to get better each day as the weather keeps warming. C'mon warm weather!! Good luck to you all..........treepotato

Scanoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by treepotato
    Howdy , Just got in from the salamonie and boy did it feel good to get out on the water again. Air temps were in the upper 60's with a moderate southerly wind. There must have been 15-20 boats on the water and everyone I talked to said they were catching alot of small ones and nothing big. My son and I only had a couple hours before sunset so we just spider rigged around some deep points and only picked up seven from 8 - 12 inches. The water temps ranged from 44 deg. to 47deg. Our fish were all caught on double rigged minnows tightlined under 12 foot rods. I think the fishing is only going to get better each day as the weather keeps warming. C'mon warm weather!! Good luck to you all..........treepotato
    Sounds like things are looking up! I have not fished down there yet but I am considering it, there so many good place to fish just north of Fort Wayne that it makes it tough to go down there. Maybe this tear,
    Good luck!
    Scanoe

Post Thanks / Like

Tree, do I need to come show you were those slabs are?

Post Thanks / Like

Was up at Salamonie today, didn't fish. I was passing out flyers for guiding service me and a buddy do. You will have to put in at Dora if you want to get on the water. it will be treachorous, so be careful if you go out.It should be brought up in the next couple of weeks as the rains start.

Also took a trip over to Mississinewa. they say it is supposed to be at summer pool by memorial day. We'll see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Treepotato:

It won't be long before they start coming into the shallows. I am about 200 miles south of you and in a 90 acre lake the shallows are warming up to about 60 deg F and the female crappie and males are moving into 6 ft of water and taking a float and fly with a jig and minnow combination. It got up to abotu 65 deg F today and the water surface out in the middle of the lake had dropped a few deg compared to two days ago here. Water at the surface was somewhere between 55.1 and 57 deg F. I think that either it warmed up as the day went on or I founds ome warm spots. I use two different Minn-Kota Temp gauges and a digital scientific temperature meter to confirm the other readings. One gauge sensor is at the back on the transom while the other is on my trolling motors shaft.

The pussy willow, bradford Pear and Tuplip trees are blooming here at 38.00.00 deg Latitude. Dogwoods are not blooming yet. They are a week to two weeks from blooming.

I can tell when the crappie are getting ready to spawn as the small ants start coming into my house at that time of the year.

I got out today and two days ago and kept a few nice ones. Some were almost 12" long with a lot of them 11.5 and 10" long. They are kinds skinny though. Not a lot of meat on them. They must not get enough to eat in this small 90 acre stripper pit.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    Hey Treepotato:

It won't be long before they start coming into the shallows. I am about 200 miles south of you and in a 90 acre lake the shallows are warming up to about 60 deg F and the female crappie and males are moving into 6 ft of water and taking a float and fly with a jig and minnow combination. It got up to abotu 65 deg F today and the water surface out in the middle of the lake had dropped a few deg compared to two days ago here. Water at the surface was somewhere between 55.1 and 57 deg F. I think that either it warmed up as the day went on or I founds ome warm spots. I use two different Minn-Kota Temp gauges and a digital scientific temperature meter to confirm the other readings. One gauge sensor is at the back on the transom while the other is on my trolling motors shaft.

The pussy willow, bradford Pear and Tuplip trees are blooming here at 38.00.00 deg Latitude. Dogwoods are not blooming yet. They are a week to two weeks from blooming.

I can tell when the crappie are getting ready to spawn as the small ants start coming into my house at that time of the year.

I got out today and two days ago and kept a few nice ones. Some were almost 12" long with a lot of them 11.5 and 10" long. They are kinds skinny though. Not a lot of meat on them. They must not get enough to eat in this small 90 acre stripper pit.
    Hey Moose, congrats on the the catch. I envy you being so close to some pits, I go down to Greene - Sullivan state park every spring just before the memorial day crowds and have a blast with the big gills and crappie that the strip pits have to offer. Thanks for the update..........treepotato