Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Fillets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Fillets

How long will they keep in the fridge? It sure is nice to have a mess to fry when ever. Just wondering.

Post Thanks / Like

In the fridge, I wouldn't keep them more than 3 or 4 days from when you filleted them. They'll keep a little longer but it's not worth it IMO. Freeze them in water in ziplock bags and then 2-3 days before you want to eat them just throw the bag from the freezer into the fridge and it'll thaw by the time you're ready to eat them.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that they need to be eaten within a year but that's usually not a problem around my house!
    I put about 10 fillets to a quart ziploc bag and set the bag down in a sink full of water with just the seal up out of the water. Now add just enough tap water to cover the fillets but not too much water. The water pressure in the sink will only let the water barely cover the fillets and seal the bag shut after pushing all the excess air out.
    Too much water will crush the fillets when it freezes causing the fillets to be soft and mushy instead of firm. I also lay the bags flat in the freezer until they are completely frozen.
    There are several good ways to put your fillets up this is just how I do it.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

what about vacuum sealing....would that work....anyone ever try that method?

Post Thanks / Like

I freeze mine in water in a zip-loc bag. They keep for a very long time. I have eaten them as old as 3 years and they still taste great. In fact, I just ate my last bag of '05 filets.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a vacuum sealer. works well ,but i have never kept over a year. they go pretty quick. I do have some salmon filets from o5 , and their not freezer burnt. will thaw them iout and let you know.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Default vacuum sealer

I have a food saver and it works great. The bags do not take up much room so you can just stack them up. And even the instructions say you can keep fish 2 years in the freezer. I've kept some over two with no problems.

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks...it seems like the vacuum sealer would work just as well...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a ziplock with water kind of guy too. Never had enough left long enough to get freezer burn. For one-day thawing - eating, I put a couple bags in a small cooler full of cold water in the morning, and by dinner time, they're ready for the deep fryer. Keeps them cold like in a fridge, but thaws them out a lot faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poppop View Post
    what about vacuum sealing....would that work....anyone ever try that method?
    The only problem I have with vacuum sealing is if the sealer gets a drop of moisture, it won't seal the bag good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast