Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need advice on new depth/fish finder w/ GPS.

Jigger Guest

Default Need advice on new depth/fish finder w/ GPS.

I would like to buy a nice depth/fish finder with GPS capabilities. I don't know what brand to buy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be using it while crappie fishing primarily.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lowrance LMS160 and I am real happy with it although its mapping is a little primative and doesn't have much memory it still suits my needs very well.

If i was in the market for a new one I would go color with the new LMS-332C its got a ton more memory than mine better resolution and its much more powerfull I think it has 4000watts of power. I don't think you can go wrong with Lowrance, I had to call there customer service because I was having trouble re-using my boats existing transducer and they were outstanding to work with. A++++ on support.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jigger
    I would like to buy a nice depth/fish finder with GPS capabilities. I don't know what brand to buy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be using it while crappie fishing primarily.
    After tons of research and comparisons between Lowrance, Humminbird, and Garmin, I finally took the plunge and got the Lowrance 332c color Sonar/ GPS.
    Being that I just started installing it today I can't tell you much about it, except if it does everything it is suppose to, it is exactly what I wanted for my Spider rigged Pontoon. I ran it in demo mode awhile ago and its resolution is unbelievable. No matter which unit you decide make sure you understand if the WAAS receiver comes with it, or if it's an option. You definately want at least WAAS capable, that will make the difference between getting within several yards of your target, or with WAAS getting within a few feet of your target. One of the primary things to look for is resolution Pixels x Pixels, I found the 332c had all the Humminbird Matrix's beat seven ways from Sunday, but certainly the Grayscale Birds were considerably cheaper. It all depends on what your requirments are.
    Being that I had a Lowrance paper graph recorder years ago, and ran the Crappie poop out of it for many years without any problems, probably swayed my choice a little bit also.

Post Thanks / Like

The archives have 3 threads relative to gps and /or depth finders. You may find something there.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Hummingbird Matrix 37 which a GPS unit can be attached to. It works well for me and was cost effective.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using GPS for fishing and hunting for 12 years or so. Started before they turned off the built in error demanded by the government, which was also before WAAS. I found by watching the ete or estimated time of arrival and the distance, many, many times the time was much more accurate than the distance. I find that to be true even with WAAS equipped models.

Post Thanks / Like

new eagle 320 works perfectly. and use a hand held gps. or spend the money on a real one . bass pro had the lx18-c on sale for 699. may still have some on line they were origanaly 1100 . can take to memory chips one hot maps and one to copy your trip. and color is a great thing.and the 332c is a nice unit also.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta through my hat in the ring for the 332c. I have a 337df just cause I go into salt water sometimes, it's the same unit and it's fantastic. I too wore out a couple of Eagle I paper graphs and this is comparable in resolution. If it's within your budget you won't be sorry. And the GPS is right on. I set a couple of condos and when I went back through the way-point, there they were, right on the money.
    Just my 02
    good fishing
    Ed