Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS Question?

Post Thanks / Like

Default GPS Question?

I have just purchased a new GPS. I have found some GPS coordanates for LOZ, on the MO Dept of cov web site. There not in longitude or latitude. What are they and how do you use them?

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I would buy a good lake map. They would have gps coordinates printed on them

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I am not real good at this, but maybe can get you headed in the right direction. If you use 'Easy GPS' to enter your coordinates on the computer then transfer to your GPS. On Easy GPS go to preferences and you can select the format of the coordinates you have. Enter them on Easy GPS. Then (here is where I am not sure) when you transfer them to your GPS, you may have to change the format there till you get them entered, then change it back to long/lat. If this is confussing or doesn't work, I would suggest you call the MDC and ask for imput.

Thanks,
    Mark

Pitching jigs, catching slabs, life is good

Post Thanks / Like

Some GPS units allow you to change the format on the unit itself. My Lowrance allows me to change the format to UTM which is the format for the MDC coordinates. Can then just enter them straight into the unit without messing with the computer.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

This website gives you the ability to convert from Minutes and Seconds to Decimal units and visa versa.

Barndog and I spent an hour trying to figure out some coordinates sent to us from a friend. They were in decimal and we were trying to enter them into minutes and seconds. Put us 30 miles or more off the location.

http://www.cosports.com/tools/gps_coords.htm

Good Luck
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a website that you can convert coordinates in multiple map datums.

My old gypsy will only take Lat/Long so when somebody hands me some UTM coordinates I have to convert them first.

http://www.rcn.montana.edu/resources...es.aspx?nav=11
    Progressive Marine Insurance SUCKS!. If you hit a submerged object they will try to prove manufacturers defect....stay away from them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, the info helps alot. good luck fishing!!

Post Thanks / Like

What format are they in? Could you give me an example of your coords. It doesn't have to be your ACTUAL coords, just make some up in the same type format. I may be able to help too. If you're just in decimal and need/want it in DDD/MM/SS, you can(or at least I can on a Magellan Sportrack) just change your format style on your unit and enter them. Your formatting within your unit will determine how you can enter coords.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mr. baker View Post
    Some GPS units allow you to change the format on the unit itself. My Lowrance allows me to change the format to UTM which is the format for the MDC coordinates. Can then just enter them straight into the unit without messing with the computer.
    I entered those exact coordinates in my 334 and just changed the format. I entered them manually which was very time consuming in the unit itself. You could probably enter them on the computer then download them in your unit if its capable. I did have a lot of trouble finding any of them on the water, I wonder how long ago there were made. Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I played around with my unit, a Lowrance XOG. It did allow me to change the coordinate system, but when I plugged in the numbers I ended up miles away from the lake. I will keep playing with it till I figuar it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast