Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baiting Holes For Crappie Does It Work?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Baiting Holes For Crappie Does It Work?

I Am Realatively New To Crappie Fish. I Have Heard Tales Of Baiting Fishing Holes To Hold Baitfish, To Attract Crappie. Does Anyone Know If This Really Works? If So How Is The Best Way To Do It? What Is The Best Bait To Use? Where Is The Best Place To Bait? Any Other Help With This Would Be Greatly Appreciated. Thanks Bigfish5
    Good Luck And Good Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it does.

I know this is not exactly what you're talking about, but there is a whole sub-board here (Crappie Structure) related to it. In that case, you're dropping natural or artificial structure into the water. This will provide cover for bait fish which will draw in the crappie.

Baiting a hole with bait also works. Carp fishermen prebait areas extensively, using loads of bait. If you wanted to do the same for crappie, almost any type of bread or meal would do a good job of attracting bait fish.

Post Thanks / Like

the local marina drops in green alfalfa bales over the winter.Same concept,creates nutrients and plankton,then baitfish,then predators.

Post Thanks / Like

I have sunk brush with success. I don't have much experience baiting holes except for a trip in Texas one summer. I found the hole by accident looking for typical structure. I loaded my box with crappie and catfish. They were puking milo. I fished that hole a few times more that summer and returned the favor to whom ever by bringing some milo to dump overboard for the following weekend. I haven't found a hole like that since; almost 20 years ago.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to tell you a bad one here, but it does work. Back when we were kids we started to learn to catch Crappie in the river. We never even knew they were in the river. So we decided to bait the hole one day. We found a willow hanging over the spot and tied a big carp to the limbs. We didn't let the carcase hit the water. We hung it about 3 feet above water level. After a few days the carp was covered in flies and maggots and the maggots would drop off into the water everytime the wind blew. The spot was LOADED with huge Crappie and Bluegill both! Other than a bad fishy smell, the spot was unbeatable for a couple days! I have not tried this from a boat, but it almost has to work. I am just not sure if it's legal. Find out before you try it.
    Caught so many fish today my thumb is sore from clicking the counter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PapermouthLegend View Post
    I am going to tell you a bad one here, but it does work. Back when we were kids we started to learn to catch Crappie in the river. We never even knew they were in the river. So we decided to bait the hole one day. We found a willow hanging over the spot and tied a big carp to the limbs. We didn't let the carcase hit the water. We hung it about 3 feet above water level. After a few days the carp was covered in flies and maggots and the maggots would drop off into the water everytime the wind blew. The spot was LOADED with huge Crappie and Bluegill both! Other than a bad fishy smell, the spot was unbeatable for a couple days! I have not tried this from a boat, but it almost has to work. I am just not sure if it's legal. Find out before you try it.
    would never have thought of that in 33 years 6mo.2days.... wouldnt eaven need to mark the spot on the gps just follow your nose... but I am gonna try it

Post Thanks / Like

very interesting idea,,,
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PapermouthLegend View Post
    That is both great and disgusting. I will try that.
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

NIMROD is online now Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

We bait catfish holes every summer. Tried baiting our condos earlier for minnows to attract more Crappie. It seemed to help some but the &*$# Catfish would take our jigs and break off as we use light line.

This is a few Catfish photos from our baited holes. I guided for some Crappie .com members and most of them had a blast catching one after another.
    Last edited by NIMROD; 02-26-2008 at 07:08 PM.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Those are some nice, fat looking cat's! I can hear the sizzle!!
    God does not subtract from one's allotted time on earth those hours spent fishing...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast