Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Multi Jig/Minnow Rigs

cohutta21 Guest

Default Multi Jig/Minnow Rigs

I am wanting to do some trolling for crappie with my son... I have a couple of rod holders rigged, but am not sure how to rig multiple jigs/minnows for slow trolling... Any suggestions or pics of your rigs???

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm learning these myself, but a simple palomar knot will make the dropper needed. About 18" apart seems to be a good starting point.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Try a surgeons loop. Make it high enough in your line so you can tie another one on the bottom as you would normally, or use another loop.

Post Thanks / Like

Do a search on here for Capps & Coleman rigs. That's the best minnow rig I've found for slow trolling. I tie my jigs about 24 inches apart to troll them. If you want to troll other items get with Mike at CrappieMagic.com he has a little wire device that is great for multiple lure trolling and jigging.
    Jerry Hamon
    Van Alstyne, Texas
    http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/texascrappiefisherman/MSKFCPRES_zps568e5f40.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I have found, the be honest with you, for hook storage and overall ease of use, I like the pre-rigged models, with the 2 metal arms that look like springs on the main line, you can buy at most bait shops. The leaders are the perfect length to hook the top hook to the bottom eye and the bottom hook to the top eye. #6 size is what I been using. I bought a bulk of them for a few bucks. To me, the ease of use and the HOOK STORAGE is the BEST thing about them.

Capps & Colmean rig to me, stays hung 10 times more than a 2 hook crappie rig. But when you probably don't have to buy tackle anymore they probably get hung and keep right on rolling, never look back. But I could be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Caps & Coleman rig. Name:  cc rig.gif
Views: 18124
Size:  128.0 KB
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

This is how Mr Crappie does it. If you go to the 5:56 min mark of video he explains how he ties his rig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok8TL75J_90
    Last edited by dixrp; 02-26-2008 at 02:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ifish View Post
    Caps & Coleman rig. Name:  cc rig.gif
Views: 18124
Size:  128.0 KB
    Thanks, ifish. I was too preoccupied to look it up before posting yesterday.
    I love C&C rigs. They have the right weight and makeup for trolling. I build mine and wrap them around a 12" piece of pool noodle for storage. Lip the minnows and troll them around structure, creeks, or ledges. Use your fishfinder to locate the schooling fish and be ready to fill the livewell. Wally's crankbait trolling method works good too.

We've come a long way from cane poles, minners, and bobbers.
    Jerry Hamon
    Van Alstyne, Texas
    http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/texascrappiefisherman/MSKFCPRES_zps568e5f40.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cohutta21 View Post
    I am wanting to do some trolling for crappie with my son... I have a couple of rod holders rigged, but am not sure how to rig multiple jigs/minnows for slow trolling... Any suggestions or pics of your rigs???
    If you start trolling shallow water around and over grass I would use a single jig and long line troll it. I do at times use the double drop rig as well, but not as much as the single.

In water say 3'-6' deep use a 1/32 oz. jig and set your troll motor on 3 if it's a variable speed and not a 5 speed. If it is a 5 speed you will probably need to use 2. I use a 1/16 in water depth of say 6' to 14'.

If you are going to be in water over 6' to what ever depth when that is when I think about using a double rig.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

cohutta21 Guest

Guys, great stuff... Thanks for the help...

Dixrp thanks for the youtube link, that helped a lot...