Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: need some help

Post Thanks / Like

Default need some help

I have a minn kota maxxum 65, on a 2001 crappie master boat. blew a fuse on the lake today anybody have a clue where the fuse may be ? I don't!!
    born to Fish, forced to work

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Should be close to the batteries.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I checked both of the battery fuses. fMaybe I burned the switch in the foot controll?

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar problem on the water last year on my Minkota PowerDrive. It actually burnt the wire in one of the connectors befor the fuse. Between the fuse and the motor control board. I like to went crazy trying to find the bad fuse myself. May be totally unrelated, but take a close look at all the wires from the board all the way to the battery and back.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes those blowed fuses are actually dirty connections. Start at your battery connections and clean everyone of them. Then start checking at each connections on switches to see if you have power and continue to the trolling motor plug and foot switch. Most of the time you'll get off (if your lucky) with cleaning your battery cable connections. Good luck, Ferdi aka Fred

shineyfoot Guest

There "should" be a breaker in between the batteries and the trolling motor. It should be mounted either directly onto the battery post or within 12 inches of the battery. It should have a small button on the side of it that you push to reset it. On other thing you might check is if you have a plug on your trolling motor, pull the trolling motor plug out and check the voltage inside the receptacle. It could possibly be that the plug is bad/corroded.

Also, you need to check the connectors as SpeckWick mentioned. The connectors can corrode inside of them but yet look normal on the outside, therefore not getting a good connection. The insulation on the connectors or wire near them will sometimes to appear to be melted slightly.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I agree there's probably a circuit breaker someplace. Find it and push the reset.

Post Thanks / Like

I burned up a plug to my TM, might check that first...
    Quote Originally Posted by gajud View Post
    I checked both of the battery fuses. fMaybe I burned the switch in the foot controll?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks shineyfoot you were right on. Breakers were turned upside down made hard to find cleaned everything up tighed the conections and I am back in th saddle again.