Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Freshwater boat in saltwater

Post Thanks / Like

Default Freshwater boat in saltwater

I am going to pull my boat to Florida in May. Are there any special considerations to keeping my motor from getting crud from the saltwater? Maybe WD40 the engine them high pressure spray after fishing? Thanks
    If you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy!

Post Thanks / Like

Most importantly you have to flush the motor and livewells/bilge with fresh water as soon as possible from getting out of the water each day. Also washout the trailer as much as you can. Before you go be sure to grease the bearings well and spray any wiring connectors in and out of the boat with white grease. Silicone spray or wd40 under the hood is ok but it will smell when it heats up. White grease on all the cables/linkages will be good insurance agaist the salty air/spray. Be sure to spray plugs to depth finders and even a shot in the keyhole wont hurt. Take your engine flusher and a garden hose if you'll have access to a tap. I have put the flusher on and forced water in it at the carwash in a pinch to flush the salt out.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, thats just what I needed to know. I know the launch site I will be using has a fresh water wash down spiket, so flushing and rincing is not a problem. Never thought about the cables and connectors. Thanks again. Tight lines
    If you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy!

Post Thanks / Like

I think Sundrop covered it all. I think the most important is to make sure you rinse out your motor and rinse off the trailer. If you can back your trailer down in a fresh water area and run your engine in reverse for a while that will rinse your trailer better than you can rinse it at home and by running the engine you will have it rinse out with fresh water too.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Rinse Rinse Rinse, then clean all the metal real good too.

Gonefission
    Bill