Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P-Line Halo Report

Post Thanks / Like

Default P-Line Halo Report

A couple of weeks ago I asked if anybody had tried the new Halo line. Nobody said they had yet. Well, I tried it today and here is my opinion. First of all, I vertical fish most of the time so this is the way I used it today. The good - its strong! This stuff straightened out a 1/0 hook without even blinkin'. It has lots of stretch too. The Bad - It has a looooot of stretch. It makes a 3/4 lb crappie feel like a 2 lb'er on a rubber band. The mist green color is near invisible. I could not see my line to set the depth. (I guess this could be good though because the fish can't see it either.) The worst thing about it that I found was that everytime I turned around it was spooling off of the reel by itself. It created quit the mess. This might be so because I use small spinning reels ans the spool is not very big. Conclusion - I'm taking it off tonight and putting Gamma back on. That stuff is great! I will try the Halo on my casting reel. Maybe it will do better there. Oh, by the way....I put 22 keepers in the boat. Not too bad a day for being so cold and dreary.
    The only way to have a good fishing spot is to make it yourself!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good. I am glad I didn't but any. I looked at it today while at Gander Mountain.

As far as fish seeing the line, now I don't believe the fishes really care. Fishes probably think that line is tied to a water spiders butt, so it looks natural to them. ha

When I wuzza kid, black nylon string was the "in" thing. Not much has changed.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Cane,
    I'm gonna have to disagree with you there (ever seen the movie Fargo?). When Spider Wire came out, I put it on my poles. I kept breaking off in the brush so I thought that if I got tougher line I wouldn't have this problem. Well, I put the SW on and went fishin' with a buddy. After about six hours, he had caught over 30 fish and I caught one. Actually I snagged it. He looked over at me and said, "If you'll get rid of that line, I think you'll do better." So I stripped it off and reloaded with some Berkley Solar that he had in the boat and immediatly I started catchin' fish. Everytime I see him out he asks me if I've went back to using that fancy string yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sixfin View Post
    Cane,
    I'm gonna have to disagree with you there (ever seen the movie Fargo?). When Spider Wire came out, I put it on my poles. I kept breaking off in the brush so I thought that if I got tougher line I wouldn't have this problem. Well, I put the SW on and went fishin' with a buddy. After about six hours, he had caught over 30 fish and I caught one. Actually I snagged it. He looked over at me and said, "If you'll get rid of that line, I think you'll do better." So I stripped it off and reloaded with some Berkley Solar that he had in the boat and immediatly I started catchin' fish. Everytime I see him out he asks me if I've went back to using that fancy string yet?
    Ok, but I have never used Spiderwire??

I wuz a Stren man for years. Now Berkley and Stren done got married. They kinda "tied the knot" ya know. What is a feller to do?

I got some Suffix 6# line hi vis yeller to try out based on PanMan Va line test results. I gonna give it a tryout. So far, ok.
    Some of us were looking at that P line. Glad you told us some stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried everything and I think that gamma is the way to go. I tried the pline evolution too, but got broke off too may times.

Post Thanks / Like

How are you guys breaking off? On fish or snags?

I fished nothing but 4# Trilene XL for thirty years and was always amazed at how hard it was to break the line. And I was using an improved clinch knot which is relatively weak.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    How are you guys breaking off? On fish or snags?

I fished nothing but 4# Trilene XL for thirty years and was always amazed at how hard it was to break the line. And I was using an improved clinch knot which is relatively weak.

Me,

I catch big fishes.

I quit Stren cause I couldn't see it. I got some hi vis for my old eyes (I hadn't used anything 'cept Stren for years and bragged about Stren). I just went by PanManVa's list cause it was scientific based not bs based.

Post Thanks / Like

db4disco,
    After getting snagged in brush and pulling free a few times, mine line would get burrs and then it would eventually break when I would get a good fish. That's what lead me to the brilliant idea of Spider Wire. But now, I think Spider Wire comes in something other than "barge rope".

Post Thanks / Like

I tried P-Line twice, No More, strong, but many other problems.

Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

When I first tried Pline I loved the toughness, but it was too coily like you found and a bit thick for its lb test rating. I'm glad I used it though because it got me away from regular monos and set me on a search for better line with the result of finding sufix promix then gamma. 2 fantastic lines.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast