Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to avoid the TWIST

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best way to avoid the TWIST

What is the best way you have found to avoid line twist on spinning reels?
    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day!

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A high quality reel makes a big difference. But a can of Reel Magic will do the trick. I spray it on when filling my reels and from time to time on the water. It works great in cold weather when line wants to develop some memory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jigging15 View Post
    A high quality reel makes a big difference.
    Yeah, get a good Daiwa or Shimano and follow the directions on putting line on it. For my reels, that means spooling just like you would with a baitcaster.

This subject comes up frequently. Use the search function, and you'll find more threads.

Post Thanks / Like

manually close the bail, insted of turning the reel handle.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of folks make the problem of line twist worse by continuing to wind the handle when the drag is slipping. That can cause twist on all reels except baitcasters.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Hold your mouth properly when reeling. Oh, and if that doesn't work then once in a while retrieve a cast and hold the line between your fingers tightly enough so that when the line is pulled through your fingers it straightens out the line and untwists it. Your lure should do a lot of spinning when you get it back in because of the unwinding line. Also use quality lines that are very limp for spinning such as Gamma or Sufix Promix. The above suggestion for using quality reels is a big part as well. Make sure you get a reel that has an oscillation system and an advanced twist busting type of line roller. The upper end Shimano, Daiwa, Quantum and Pfleuger reels should help.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 02-23-2008 at 02:13 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Braided line.

Post Thanks / Like

I use swivels on every rod, just clueless to how my wife gets line twist when I don't
    Proud Veteran, United States Marines

Post Thanks / Like

Let most of the line out behind the boat and pull it along slowly for a few minutes and then slowly reel it up........takes away a lot of the problem. Also, the reel magic doesn't hurt either.

Post Thanks / Like

One way to get twist out of your line after it is already on the spool is to tie a snap swivel to the end of your line, attach the snap portion to a fixed object then begin walking away from the object as far as you can. Once you reach that point, hold your rod tip high and begin reeling as you slowly walk toward the swivel. The swivel will absorb the twist and get it out. Be sure to keep tension on your line as you reel, sort of let your pace of reeling determine your pace of walking. I have been using this method for a long time, and it works. Also good idea to spray reel majic on your spool of line, it keeps down line memory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast