PDA

View Full Version : Best way to avoid the TWIST

JTMavs
02-23-2008, 12:00 PM
What is the best way you have found to avoid line twist on spinning reels?

Jigging15
02-23-2008, 12:14 PM
A high quality reel makes a big difference. But a can of Reel Magic will do the trick. I spray it on when filling my reels and from time to time on the water. It works great in cold weather when line wants to develop some memory.

deathb4disco
02-23-2008, 12:21 PM
A high quality reel makes a big difference.

Yeah, get a good Daiwa or Shimano and follow the directions on putting line on it. For my reels, that means spooling just like you would with a baitcaster.

This subject comes up frequently. Use the search function, and you'll find more threads.

talegunner
02-23-2008, 12:22 PM
manually close the bail, insted of turning the reel handle.

NIMROD
02-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Lots of folks make the problem of line twist worse by continuing to wind the handle when the drag is slipping. That can cause twist on all reels except baitcasters.

GRIZZ
02-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Hold your mouth properly when reeling. Oh, and if that doesn't work then once in a while retrieve a cast and hold the line between your fingers tightly enough so that when the line is pulled through your fingers it straightens out the line and untwists it. Your lure should do a lot of spinning when you get it back in because of the unwinding line. Also use quality lines that are very limp for spinning such as Gamma or Sufix Promix. The above suggestion for using quality reels is a big part as well. Make sure you get a reel that has an oscillation system and an advanced twist busting type of line roller. The upper end Shimano, Daiwa, Quantum and Pfleuger reels should help.

KyLaker
02-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Braided line.

Supracerxtreme
02-23-2008, 08:06 PM
I use swivels on every rod, just clueless to how my wife gets line twist when I don't :confused:

caseydrew
02-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Let most of the line out behind the boat and pull it along slowly for a few minutes and then slowly reel it up........takes away a lot of the problem. Also, the reel magic doesn't hurt either.

toothpick
02-23-2008, 10:03 PM
One way to get twist out of your line after it is already on the spool is to tie a snap swivel to the end of your line, attach the snap portion to a fixed object then begin walking away from the object as far as you can. Once you reach that point, hold your rod tip high and begin reeling as you slowly walk toward the swivel. The swivel will absorb the twist and get it out. Be sure to keep tension on your line as you reel, sort of let your pace of reeling determine your pace of walking. I have been using this method for a long time, and it works. Also good idea to spray reel majic on your spool of line, it keeps down line memory.

PapermouthLegend
02-24-2008, 01:36 AM
An old man taught me this when I was a kid on the White River in Indiana. Don't know his name, but I still give him credit for this trick. Run the line through all your guides on the pole. Make sure that your spool is laying on the floor directly beneath the tip of the rod (About 12"). Begin reeling the line between your thumb and index finger to keep slight tension on line so it spools evenly. Too much tension and the reel-spool will have gaps, too little and the line wraps over itself (causing loops). Last but definately not least. Make sure your floor-spool unwinds without spinning. If the spool of line is spinning you are forcing that memory into the reel. Stop, and pull a few feet off and begin reeling again if this happens. Better quality lines have less memory as well. Wally Marshall from BPS makes a decent line for the price. I prefer red cajun from shakespeare. I have had luck with little to no memory.

CrappieLuck
02-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Nimrod is right on the money. If you have a reel that is 5:1 ratio, every time you make 1 revolution with the handle and the drag is slipping, you put 5 twist in your line. And that is a fact.

JTMavs
02-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah, get a good Daiwa or Shimano and follow the directions on putting line on it. For my reels, that means spooling just like you would with a baitcaster.

This subject comes up frequently. Use the search function, and you'll find more threads.

I've got 3 nice Shimano's but have not tried the Reel Magic. The using a snap swivel and walking out line seems like a good idea also. Thanks all!

FIRE CRAPPIE
02-25-2008, 09:47 PM
I always try to put the line on the reel with the coils in the same direction it comes off the spool. All the other advise is good too.

CrappieKidd
02-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Here is a good video for getting your line on right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDYquiQKa1A

Ronnie
02-29-2008, 11:04 PM
I never have line twist problems. I always lay the line spool flat down on my garage floor. Make sure the line in coming off the spool in the same direction it is being reeled onto my reel. Then, I always............. always close the bail with my hand. Not by turning the reel handle. If you do that, you will not have line twist, unless you fish with off-balance lures that are spinning in the water.

wrwest
03-01-2008, 06:14 PM
This is a good thread. I have been having a lot more line twist the last few years an ever before. I'm getting frustrated, trying to figure out what I am going wrong. I have changed lines I don't know how many times. There are several ideas here that I am going to try. Thanks everyone for your input.

JTMavs
03-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Ditto.... Glad I asked.