Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Prop Change

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prop Change

I have a 1990 60hp Merc. and wanted to change the prop. I know 0 about what to do or what I need to do it. I just wanted to see if I could get the ol Lowe to go a little faster. I am not wanting to break the bank because I am not sure if a new one will matter. I think the one on the boat now is the org. I found this one at Cabelas.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...sJS=true#chart

Post Thanks / Like

In all probability you aren't going to do yourself any good if you buy another aluminum prop. You'll need to upgrade to a stainless steel prop. Stop by your marine repair shop and ask them which pitch stainless prop you need to go to. They'll be able to help. You'll need to go to a different pitch prop when you change to stainless. With a stainless prop everything will be improved. Holeshot, top speed, stability.

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely talk to a prop Doc about your needs instead of a prop salesman. Even the best suited prop will probably need to be fine tuned to your boat and load. There is no such thing as one size fits all. I did that with my new boat that I wasn't impressed about its performance. It was slow to plane with a load and top end wasn't there. For 60 bucks it seem like I've added a bigger motor to the back end. I now have a great hole shot, easy plane with a load, 2 mph faster, better gas mileage and runs quieter without sounding likes its straining. I own a 50 hp Yamma, the smaller the motor the more important it is. A larger motor with a misfit prop can overcome a lot of problems, but they too can see a big improvement in performance.
    From the bayou,
    PawPaw "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

PPG, that is some good info. I too am looking at props and was going to put a post up, but Bigbass91 did it for me. What about a stabilizer/hydrofoil like Doelfin,or Stingray? Any thoughts? Maybe this will help Bigbass91 also.

Quote Originally Posted by PawPaw "gene" View Post
    Definitely talk to a prop Doc about your needs instead of a prop salesman. Even the best suited prop will probably need to be fine tuned to your boat and load. There is no such thing as one size fits all. I did that with my new boat that I wasn't impressed about its performance. It was slow to plane with a load and top end wasn't there. For 60 bucks it seem like I've added a bigger motor to the back end. I now have a great hole shot, easy plane with a load, 2 mph faster, better gas mileage and runs quieter without sounding likes its straining. I own a 50 hp Yamma, the smaller the motor the more important it is. A larger motor with a misfit prop can overcome a lot of problems, but they too can see a big improvement in performance.
    From the bayou,
    PawPaw "gene"
    Take your kids hunting and fishing, and you won't be hunting your kids

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

To select the proper prop for your motor you need to know the RPMs it is running at WOT (wide open throttle). Your motor should run between 5000 and 5500 RPMs at WOT. Anything below that or above you motor is not running efficiently and not up to power. Here is a good article for you. http://www.marine-outboards.com/choosing-propeller.htm
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va