Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: fishing Prince and WB stripers, how to?

Post Thanks / Like

Default fishing Prince and WB stripers, how to?

I want to fish those two lakes for stripers. During the warm months I don't catch many but I still try. I sure would like to know how you guys do it.

I understand they move to the spillways in cold water to spawn. Are they there now? I am trying to learn. Any one that can help with good advise on when to go and if you troll or drop shot, live bait or something else. Any details would be great! Thanks to you all and have a great weekend!
    The only person who is with us our entire life is ourselves. Be ALIVE while you are alive. {George Carlin}

grizzlysgrillin Guest

Just a test of this forum

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, they do run up streams that have cooler water, but not until the warmer part of the year. In Oklahoma, that's generally in early Summer (May). In my favorite spot, they leave the Arkansas River (a big warm river) and run up to 9 miles up the Illinois River to a dam where cold water runs out of the bottom of the lake. Water temp stays in the 40s year-round there. Live trout is the best bait IMHO. But 4-6" Sassy Shad work well too. The green Sassy Shad with black down the back is my favorite color, but silver or white will work too. Depends on what they feed on in your area. I've not done well with the big crank baits or bucktail jigs, but I know those are popular for some. Trolling live bait while casting Sassy Shad is the ideal method for me.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by surfcaster69 View Post
    I want to fish those two lakes for stripers. During the warm months I don't catch many but I still try. I sure would like to know how you guys do it.

I understand they move to the spillways in cold water to spawn. Are they there now? I am trying to learn. Any one that can help with good advise on when to go and if you troll or drop shot, live bait or something else. Any details would be great! Thanks to you all and have a great weekend!
    they should just be starting at the spillways there if not now within next week or so..everything the dude above me is pretty accurate. once ther up there you can even catch them on nightcrawlers and crawdads, but if you can get ahold of bloodworms that is 100% the best bait anywhere for them, then trout and shad, but check you states redulations, some states dont allow trout to be used as bait since its a sportfish..first thing in morning topwater plugs will work good if you can see them schooling or if there is some whitewater off bottom of spillways
    Last edited by john h; 03-11-2008 at 08:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by surfcaster69 View Post

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/forumd....php?f=57,:D:D

Post Thanks / Like

I normally keep my 5 .5' Wally Marshall and set in my office when Im not fishing shooting jigs at trash cans and crap in the warehouse. Hacks the help off but I sign their checks.
    Don't rip er mouth,
    Budro: