Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: double post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Clark's Hill newbie

Another Clark's Hill newbie, some general questions

Hi folks. Decided I'm long overdue for some good old crappie fishing. I have only a few real passions, two of the biggest are GA high school football, and fishing. I know a few things about football, but not very much about crappie fishing. I've already learned a ton just by perusing this website. I'm hopeful you experts can help me gain the knowledge I need to be successful on my fishing trips.

I can drown crickets all day with the best of them, but I've grown weary of catching overgrown minnows that some might call 'bream'. You know, the annoying bait stealing type. Anyway, I had some pretty good experiences when I was younger doing some crappie fishing with my dad. I'm looking to get back to that now, and really focus on getting it down so I can go put HIM on some fish for a change.

I've read all of DI's posts and have contacted him, but I'm not sure he'll get it because of his move and all. I have access to a 17' BassTracker. Nothing extravagant, but it's served us fairly well so far, despite being severely underused. I live in Martinez(Augusta) and work in Thomson, so I'm just minutes from Clark's Hill. That's where I intend to do most of my fishing.

For now I have just a couple questions, then we'll see where it goes.

First, I need to restock tackle. I have plenty of rods and tackle, but I’m thinking about things specifically for crappie here. If you had absolutely no tackle, and you had say $200 to spend, what items would be a necessity for you to purchase? What are those things you just 'gotta' have? What lure or jig and what colors could you just not live without? I know the answers to this will probably vary considerably, but that's fine, any input is great.

Second, what is your game plan? Obviously you know a few honey holes and will hit them. But, how do you decide where to go first? How do you decide what presentation to try first? What sort of progression do you go through if things don't seem to be working? I'm really looking for a strategy you use to find the fish, so I can apply those ideas on my trips.

I'm very happy I found this site and look forward to getting things into gear. With any luck, and some fish, I'll be able to provide some reports on Clark's Hill in DI's absence. I’m making my first run at the lake this coming Saturday and Sunday (April 2 & 3) and I’m hoping to put my newfound knowledge to work.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Bobby
    Last edited by bhodges; 03-28-2005 at 11:22 AM. Reason: double post

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Welcome

Bobby we are happy you found this site. I would like to welcome you ! We have some good anglers on this site from middle Georgia and I am sure they will help you out as soon as they see ypur post. Again welcome and let us hear from you. Jimmy S.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Jimmy. I think the forum is on the fritz since I joined up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bhodges
    thanks Jimmy. I think the forum is on the fritz since I joined up?
    See what you did??? Ha ha!!
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, it probably is my fault heh. Looks like he's hoping to have the site moved Wed night. Perhaps that will sort it out.

Post Thanks / Like

I am far from being an expert but I'd suggest you start by fishing Clark Hill every chance you get using whatever tackle you have on hand. There is no substitute for time on the water. Keep a log of conditions, methods & outcome. Follow that with
    picking up either the InFisherman book or Bill Dance book on crappie. That will give you a good overview of techniques and habits. Next - get a subscription to Georgia Outdoor News - without a doubt the finest local sporting publication I've seen anywhere. I made copies of all fresh-water fishing articles from the last 12 years of GON and have a great collection of techniques and honey holes for most major species and public fishing areas in the state. They are sort of like my paper guide. Start picking up Crappie World at your local newstand - it is sort of like a graduate course in crappie fishing. Somewhere along the line you will begin to decide that you want to focus on one technique or try another and you can buy rods to match it. To use an analogy you are familiar with, it would take a bit of sandlot ball to decide that you were better suited to play wide receiver rather than in the pit as an offensive tackle.

Post Thanks / Like

or Guard, as was the case.

Thanks for the advice Ralph, I'll look into those things.

And man, your Tigers up there have had some HUGE heartbreakers the last couple years. I've seen a couple of them first hand.