Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: motor size. What do you think?

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Default motor size. What do you think?

I'm looking into a 2072 grizzly boat for my guide business. My problem is money. I can get a 90 2 stroke but I want the new 4 stroke. Problem is the 60 is what I can afford. Speed is not an issue with me. The man at my boat dealer says a 60 elpt big foot four stroke efi will bring my boat on plane and run about 35-40. What do you all think.
    http://www.trackerboats.com/build/index.cfm?boat=2895
    Last edited by FalconSmitty; 02-22-2008 at 02:11 PM.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought an 1875 HF PolarKraft new in 2003 with a 60 4 stroke and it runs just fine. It gets up on plain just fine and will run between 36 to 40 GPS. The Grizzly you are wanting is a little bigger than mine I would think you get about 30 to 35 out of it. But it might do better than that. I would think the 60 4 stroke would work fine on the boat. A buddy of mine has a Grizzly that is bigger than my boat and he has a 50 2 stroke and it does just fine.
    I know I like the fuel mileage I get with mine it does great there.

Good luck.

CX.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion 35-40 mph is as fast as you need to be going in a boat like the grizzly and that 4 stroke will get killer mileage. I'd happily go with the lower HP 4 stroke.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

4 Stroke without a doubt, you will kick yourself in the butt the first time you took out your boat with the 2 stroke.

Post Thanks / Like

my boat now runs 26 tops empty, down wind and stream. I get 20 mph with a rider

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

With a little twicking, you could get better top speed than that. Get it with a stainless prop.

Post Thanks / Like

4 stroke, quiet, good on gas only way to go
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

I'm more worried about getting on plane fast with 3 clients and me in the boat.
    looking at the big foot merc 60 4stroke

Post Thanks / Like

It's my understanding that the two stroke is much faster to plane simply because it has more torque and it's lighter. I'm kinda weird, but I'd go with the 90 two stroke. I realize I'd probably be making a mistake but........... wouldn't be the first I've happily lived with.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with the four stroke, but make sure you have the right prop, (SS) plus the right pitch to give you the speed that you want. JMO:D

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast