Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Does it make a difference-Marabou, Hackle, Plastic????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does it make a difference-Marabou, Hackle, Plastic????

With the amount of crappie fishermen and the amount of jig tiers on crappie.com , what are your opinions on whether it makes a difference in the type of tails on the crappie jigs people utilize? I had been using hackle almost exclusively, but in the last several months have gotten back to utilizing marabou in the colder waters and had great results. Any opinions on the benefits of each type and what type of conditions??

Those that sell jigs, do you have more customers for hackle or marabou and is that because your representations on your web sites have more hackle?

Mud-Dabber

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have more orders for marabou tails and I use them more on my own jigs. They work well in all weather and attract the crappies. I am usually using a two tone tail like Chartreuse and blue, chartreuse and white, chartreuse and pink etc........Anything with chartreuse will work.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I use both. I like marabou more than hackle especially in the spring when trolling. I usually go to hackle when tight lining over brush. Anytime I am not fishing straight down I like marabou more and have for a very long time. I started using my Christmas jig colors in the old Roadrunner Original marabou in the 70's. Still use it today and is one of my top 2 colors.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

All three have a place in a good crappie tackle box. I personally tie mostly hackle both for my own use and to sell. You don't see very many hackle jigs in the stores, probably because hackle is more expensive and harder to work with. Both maribou and plastics are very good for crappies but, as you'all know, crappies can change their preference in one cast. Some days they won't touch a hackle jig, some days that's all they want. It's always seemed to me that if they are looking for a bug they want hackle. I do a lot of bluegill/shellcracker fishing and IMHO hackle is always the best for them.
    Last edited by popeyemaker; 02-22-2008 at 02:27 PM.