PDA

View Full Version : Does it make a difference-Marabou, Hackle, Plastic????

Mud-Dabber
02-22-2008, 09:34 AM
With the amount of crappie fishermen and the amount of jig tiers on crappie.com , what are your opinions on whether it makes a difference in the type of tails on the crappie jigs people utilize? I had been using hackle almost exclusively, but in the last several months have gotten back to utilizing marabou in the colder waters and had great results. Any opinions on the benefits of each type and what type of conditions??

Those that sell jigs, do you have more customers for hackle or marabou and is that because your representations on your web sites have more hackle?

Mud-Dabber

skiptomylu
02-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Personally I use both. I like marabou more than hackle especially in the spring when trolling. I usually go to hackle when tight lining over brush. Anytime I am not fishing straight down I like marabou more and have for a very long time. I started using my Christmas jig colors in the old Roadrunner Original marabou in the 70's. Still use it today and is one of my top 2 colors.

Skip

GRIZZ
02-22-2008, 11:43 AM
They all have their places, and all work well. You just have to learn how each has its own special characteristics that work in certain situations.

shipahoy41
02-22-2008, 12:06 PM
See my answer on the jig tying forum.

Thanks.

gone fission
02-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Old folks around here used to buy a card of marabou jigs, burn off the marabou with a Zippo and put on Mr. twister tails. It was & may still be cheaper than buying plain jig heads.