Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mistake in AR State Record Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mistake in AR State Record Crappie

I lived in Arkansas for 14 years and enjoyed the great crappie fishing in Nimrod and Blue Mountain Lakes, and even caught a 3lb 1oz white crappie. I was looking through piles of old photos and found some pictures I took of the state record crappie, mounted and hung in the Ola Cafe, caught by Danny Burfield in 1976. The photos were taken approx 18 years ago. I became curious to see if the same fish was still the record for AR, so I did a little research to see if it was. It's still listed as the record fish, but as a black crappie. As you can see in the photo, it's obviously not a black. I checked several more sources that listed state records, and they all had the same info. I can't help but wonder how it became listed as a black. The weight was correct on all of the charts, but the date was off a year. The name was the same, too.

As you can see, I also took a close-up of the brass plate stamped with the pertinent info regarding fisherman, date, and lake where caught. In case you can't read it, it says......"STATE RECORD....DANNY BURFIELD....WT 4LB 9OZ....MARCH 25 1976....LAKE OLA DALE."

When I first noticed the error, I thought it may have been a plastic reproduction, and that maybe the taxidermist didn't get the word it was a black and painted it as a white. Only thing is, I don't remember the plastic technology being available at that time. We may never know??

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting find indeed.

I'm at Russellville and will be spending the summer working in Hot Springs.

What can you tell me about crappie fishing at Nimrod and Blue Mountain. I've thought about trying both, because fishing Dardenelle get's old sometimes and those are close.
    πνεύμα γέμισα

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FroMan
    Interesting find indeed.

I'm at Russellville and will be spending the summer working in Hot Springs.

What can you tell me about crappie fishing at Nimrod and Blue Mountain. I've thought about trying both, because fishing Dardenelle get's old sometimes and those are close.
    FroMan......the two lakes are the best I've ever fished for crappie. I somewhat favor Blue Mountain for the shallow buckbrush flats, I like to wade fish, and it's got some perfect places for that. When they stop biteing on the outer edge of the brush, that's when I slip on the waders and go where the boats can't reach them. The downside to both lakes is that they are Corp of Engineer lakes, and are constantly used for flood control when there is a danger of unstable weather, as always in spring. Even with that, they're still my favorite lakes. You're so close in Russelville it would be an easy commute to either one. I used to go there from Carlisle every spring and fall pulling a 32 ft. camper and stay a month or more. My hardest decision was which one to start in! At Nimrod on a windy day, we sometimes fished just below the dam off the bank, and did well there too. My best producer was a black/chartruce tube on a 1/16 oz jig, but sometimes they wanted a red/chartruce tube. We camped at the County Line Park in the camper. Give it a try, they should be stageing in soon for the spawn. Best of luck to ya! I'm already jealous!!! :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Froman.....

I sent the photos to the AR Game and Fish Commision and described the mistake about the white/black species. Can't wait to see what they say, if I even get an answer. If I do, I'll post it here on the AR board. Later......

Post Thanks / Like

labill,

If you ever had back up around the area and decide to fish. Look me up.
    πνεύμα γέμισα

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bill:

The fish may have been painted as a White Crappie even though it was a Black Crappie. Counting the dorsal spines would be the determining factor.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    Hey Bill:

The fish may have been painted as a White Crappie even though it was a Black Crappie. Counting the dorsal spines would be the determining factor.
    That is my hypothesis too, but I would have been a bit upset if I were Danny Burfield when I got my mount back,lol. An awesome mount regardless! You must be busy Jerry, haven't seen you posting very much. Hope it's because you have a backlog of clients clamoring at your boathouse door! BTW, I liked your article on the bamboo condos. Nice job.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FroMan
    labill,

If you ever had back up around the area and decide to fish. Look me up.
    You're on, Froman......don't know when it will be, but I will go back again, asap. Some of the best crappie fishing I ever enjoyed came out of Blue Mountain and Nimrod Lakes. I'll drop you a post when I can get away.