Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

View Poll Results: Is it further by bus or car?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bus

2 66.67%
  • Car

1 33.33%
  • Same

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wyoming Hillbilly Newbie

Temp. in AZ - back to WYOMING real SOON!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Wyoming Hillbilly Newbie

I am a 'newbie to Crappie fishing. Being from Wyoming and not having a lot of water, I haven't had the chance to fish for crappies. Now in Az, where I understand and being told, I am only an hour from crappie fishing I need to get all the help I can get. What size and length pole should I use, weight of line, reel type or anything else you VETERAN's can assist with. I am heading to both Bass Pro and Cabala's to get the whole set up here is a bit.
    So like all the other previous posters, I appreciate all the patience, you can tolerate.
    Later and have a good'n
    Oh ya- one more thing unlike Wyoming it gets real hot here. Any thoughts when crappie fishing, is water temp and drinling beer or whiskey relevant to success ratio. And is it further by bus or by car to the dairy queen???
    I hope this works, this is the 1st post I have EVER done.
    :D

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on if the DQ is in Wyoming or in Alabama. Anyway, welcome from Alabama. I am just an "Old school" fisherman and use both a 6.5 and a 7.5 "ugly Stick Lite" equipped witih Shakesspear open face reels spooled with 6 lb spider wire for 98% of my fishing.

This is a pretty basic setup that I use.

This is the Palomar knot I use.

This is me with a 3.2 pound crappie on the line

This was the bait that I used.

Last edited by shipahoy41; 02-21-2008 at 06:28 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Way KEWL!!!! Appreciate the neat graphic's!!! Heading out later today and will advise all of my 1st ever CRAPPIE adventure. And by the way, the DQ hasn't been located yet- still working on that part.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooTallWyo View Post
    Way KEWL!!!! Appreciate the neat graphic's!!! ....... by the way, the DQ hasn't been located yet- still working on that part.

Now that is funny. You have your priorities straight. Find the fishing hole first!!!:D:D:D
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    Depends on if the DQ is in Wyoming or in Alabama. Anyway, welcome from Alabama. I am just an "Old school" fisherman and use both a 6.5 and a 7.5 "ugly Stick Lite" equipped witih Shakesspear open face reels spooled with 6 lb spider wire for 98% of my fishing.

This is a pretty basic setup that I use.

This is the Palomar knot I use.

This is me with a 3.2 pound crappie on the line

This was the bait that I used.

This is the perfect rig for someone startin out, but i would choose PowerPro 8/1 braid insted of Sipderwire. Heat the bend in your hook with a lighter to remove the temper and you will get free of snag and hang ups easier and just bend the hook back to orgional shape. heres a link to the dropper know if you wanna double up jigs on 1 line http://www.animatedknots.com/dropper...matedknots.com
    Last edited by stinkies daddy; 02-21-2008 at 07:15 AM.
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

I would get the Quantam Todd Huckabee series 9 footer it in my opinion is a good all around rod and you cant go wrond with some of the bobby garland baby shads to get started
    CrappieGeorge

Post Thanks / Like

Again, I would like to thanks each and everyone of you for all the assistance in this overwhelming trek. After reviewing all the great information and thoughts. . . . . . . . . . I may just get a 10' cane pole, a bobber, a hook and a big ole glob of night crawlers and of course a lil bottle of the brown liquor, which I hear "makes ya crazy quicker" and find a bank and fish for a 'lil bit'
    Oh ya, I better get some thread from the wiff sewing box, that might help, ya think?
    have a good'n

Post Thanks / Like

This applies to where I live
    by car about 15 minutes
    by bus over an hour and 3 buses you have to transfer.
    which is cheaper the bus. :D:D
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

So, Wannabe, if it takes longer by 3 buses, I can safely assume then that the buses are painted yellow with black stripes and the tires are round not wood? But the real questions is 'is it further by bus or by car' In my humble opinion, being a backwoods Wyoming redneck, I think it depends on if the tree's are green and the moon is out. Would you all agree?
    Keep smiling and the tires on the road

Post Thanks / Like

too tall, my suggestion would be to not buy too much at first. get a light action spinning rig, 5.5' with a few basic jigs. and try them out.

You can speed the learning process up a lot by hiring a local guide or finding a local crappie fisherman to show you a few things. Most guys will help if you ask them.

Your library should have some Crappie fishing video's or you can buy some.

Good luck and contact me if I can help in any way.
    Good fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast