PDA

View Full Version : Taxidermist???

Crappie1
03-27-2005, 09:35 PM
My daughter caught a nice crappie yesterday and I thought I would have it mounted for her. I have never had a crappie mounted. Do y'all have any suggestions for choosing a taxidermist? :confused:

KARL
03-28-2005, 12:10 AM
My daughter caught a nice crappie yesterday and I thought I would have it mounted for her. I have never had a crappie mounted. Do y'all have any suggestions for choosing a taxidermist? :confused:
..ask to see some of their previous work..not pictures..actual subjects... :cool:

badbrad
03-28-2005, 08:54 AM
Obviously you would want to look at some of their work with special attention to how it is painted. I have a close friend who mounts fish. When she completes one I swear you could put the fish in the water and it would look real. She actually applys very little paint. She highlights the fishes pattern and then a clear coat brings the fish to life. She also finishes the back side of the fish which all taxidermist do not do. I've seen some mounts with only one eye. Find out if they hand paint the gills. If they airbrush them, there could be overspray. I would also ask how long it would take to get it back. If they tell you a couple of months, then I'd be cautious. A good taxidermist is always 6 months to a year behind.

DENNIS BOWERS
03-28-2005, 06:59 PM
I Know A Couple Of Good One In The Cookville,tn Area.im Not Sure Where Your At In Ky.?if Your Interested Let Me Know--they Have Both Done Crappie For Me And Are Reasonable And Great On Crappie! Good Fishin To Ya!!dennis

Crappie1
03-31-2005, 08:13 AM
I'm in Williamsburg KY.......about 70 miles north of Knoxville on I-75.
Probably a little too far to Cookeville.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to check around here locally first.

By the way here's a pic.

CrappiePappy
03-31-2005, 08:22 AM
that's a great pic of two beautiful "girls" ... :D You should put that pic on the Brag Board ... might win her a Crappie.com Hat !! I'd title that one - "Beauty and the Behemoth" ... cause that is one HUGE Crappie ! ...LOL!! ..... thanks for sharing .............luck2ya .......cp :cool:

Barnacle Bill
03-31-2005, 08:25 AM
that's a great pic of two beautiful "girls" ... :D You should put that pic on the Brag Board ... might win her a Crappie.com Hat !! I'd title that one - "Beauty and the Behemoth" ... cause that is one HUGE Crappie ! ...LOL!! ..... thanks for sharing .............luck2ya .......cp :cool:

I definitely agree with CP!!!

DENNIS BOWERS
04-01-2005, 06:56 AM
Yep--great Picture!!thats What Its All About--kids An Fish!! Good Fishin To Ya!!dennis

GABoy
04-01-2005, 07:08 AM
I definitely agree with CP!!!

I couldn't agree more!!!

That picture is CERTAINLY worth a thousand words!!

Big Zig
04-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Do y'all have any suggestions for choosing a taxidermist?

Any practicing taxidermist can do a skin mount. It's the paint job that makes or breaks a mount (as mentioned before). It may be worthwhile to ask upfront, what he/she will do if you're not satisfied with the final mount. A local taxidermist I use guaranties your satisfaction in the mount, with a one time charge. (charges by the inch)
Shop around for someone to do your work. There was discussion previously on the board about some crappie mounts having "bass-like" mouths - a small detail to look for. Look at the pectoral fins as well - a decent taxidermist can do those fins w/o a support backer.

Congrats on the memory, she has a story some of us are still dreaming about.
Good luck in your search and let us know how it turns out next year.

bhodges
04-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Nice Slab!!

What does mounting a crappie run anyway? I'm sure it varies from place to place, but just ballpark.

GABoy
04-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Nice Slab!!

What does mounting a crappie run anyway? I'm sure it varies from place to place, but just ballpark.

I would say anywhere in the neighborhood of $ 125 - $ 150 in these parts.....I had a 2lb 11oz done about 4 months ago.....

David Waters
04-01-2005, 01:06 PM
I also am having 2 fish mounted I caught in the Grenada tournament. One 2 3/4 and the other over 3. I believe the guy I will use locally is charging $100 a fish. Having them put on a peice of driftwood. Good tips to look for already written. I will look for those things myself before deciding.

bhodges
04-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Thanks guys. That seems pretty reasonable.

Crappie1
04-01-2005, 09:42 PM

CP ---- I took your advise and posted a couple of pics on the Brag Board. She sure is awfully proud of this one. :)

I found a local taxidermist that I believe will do a good job. Looked at some of his work and price seems pretty reasonable.

Thanks everyone for the info. ;)

rango
04-02-2005, 06:49 AM
im curious as to what the fish weighed?

King Crappie
04-02-2005, 08:32 AM
W O W............ That a huge crappie would love that on my wall.... But really thats what its all about that smile tells it all.... Like Jerry from (the fisin hole says) my dad always had the time to take me fishin........... Congrads and welcome to crappie fishin little one.......

Crappie1
04-02-2005, 09:15 AM
im curious as to what the fish weighed?

My scales said 2 1/2 lbs but I don't believe that. I think it was bigger than that.