Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Roseys VS Silvers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Roseys VS Silvers

Which minnows seem to do the best for you guys?

Post Thanks / Like

Roseys live longer and are great for aggressive fish! Shineys are larger and work well for sluggish fish wanting an easy meal, but they are harder to keep alive in hot weather.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've seen using them side by side the Rosie's seem to catch more fish. I don't know if its the color they are attracted to or what. Just my .02 cents.
    Good luck and good fishing!
    MT.DEW AND JP8 IN THE MORNING GETS THE BLOOD FLOWING.

Post Thanks / Like

Roseys 10 to 1 when I can get them!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is something the fish don't see all the time and they work better for me. We can't get the roseys here. I have to drive a long ways to get them. Some times it takes something a little different to make them bite and everyone here uses silver minners. Just my 2 cents....Dennis

Post Thanks / Like

We use both and the Rosie Red minnows seem to do better in low-light and/or dingy water and the Shiners sometimes do better in clear water and bright sunlight. The main forage here is threadfin shad, which only get about 1.5-inches long so we use minnows about that size. It's hard to get small enough shiners from bait shops and usually easier to get small Rosie Reds if they carry them. We get both from a minnow farm and ask for #4 shiners. They don't generally grade the Rosie Reds but if we call ahead a day or so they'll screen us out some of the smaller ones.

Rosie Red minnows are easier to keep but can be somewhat sensitive to stress when they are spawning, which is anytime the water temps are in the 70s and low 80s. We cool them down slowly to between 60 and 65 and they keep real well.

I've heard from several different bait shops that you can't keep Rosie Red minnows and Shiners together because the Rosie Reds will kill the Shiners but it's not true. This notion apparently comes from situations where folks have them together and their Shiners all die because they aren't taken care of properly and since the Rosie Reds are a bit tougher most of them are still alive leading to the assumption that the Rosie Reds killed the Shiners. We keep them together and as long as we keep the water at a cool and constant temperature with plenty of aeration and change some of it out regularly they so just fine.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I will use both and 100% agree that the Shiners are much harder to keep alive than the Reds,because of this I buy Reds more than Shiners.They both seem to catch them.