Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jig head and hook suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig head and hook suggestions?

I use 1/16 oz round jig heads alot and sometimes I am a little unsatisfied with the tiny hook size. I believe most are a #6. What are most of you using and where can you get em? I like the red hooks in maybe a #4 or #2....Also anybody using sickle hook jig heads?
    Wichita

Post Thanks / Like

This is where I got my last batch of jigs and have been happy with the sickle hooks. I mainly use 1/8 oz and 1/16 oz jig heads and like the biggest hook I can find.

http://stores.ebay.com/TCI-Fishing-Lures
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I use a #4 on my 1/16oz and a #2 on my 1/8oz, a lot better catching percentage. I use nothing but sickle hooks in red and I doubt I'll ever go back to the regular jig hooks again. Email that gut that Steve pasted on his reply. His name is Tommy and thats where I usually buy all my jigs from.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I have also had the same complaint with small jigheads having hooks that are too small and short. I like to use smaller heads with larger tubes and grubs for a slower presentation. I found these yesterday 1/32 with #2 sickle hooks. They almost look too big, but I'd love to try them. I think #4's would be the ticket though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-1-32-oz-roun...713.m153.l1262

Found em - here are the #4's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-1-32-oz-round...713.m153.l1262
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 02-20-2008 at 07:15 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

in 1/16 I use #2 MOST OF THE TIME BUT WILL SOMETIMES MAKE ME SOME WITH #1

Post Thanks / Like

I try to keep all sizes from 1/64 to 1/4 and at least #8 to #4 hooks size in both regular bend and sickle. I do have a few sizes that I carry #2 hooks and a few 1/4 with a #1 Sickle, but that is something I aim at LMB more than crappie. I got them for the guys that have interest in catching Bass on slow days in the spring using a black marabou jig.

I have to have a huge inventory for a one many show, but I can take care of most needs this way.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey Wichita ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wichita View Post
    I use 1/16 oz round jig heads alot and sometimes I am a little unsatisfied with the tiny hook size. I believe most are a #6. What are most of you using and where can you get em? I like the red hooks in maybe a #4 or #2....Also anybody using sickle hook jig heads?
    Give Grousefly a shout (PM). He can make you any size head/hook combo that you want ... weedless or not.
    I use 1/32 & 1/16oz ball head jigs ... # 4 & #2 hooks ... red, bronze, & gold hook colors --- all weedless (Y guard and/or fiber brush type), and unpainted. I get mine from Grousefly. Crappie.com members get them for $20/hundred, or $0.25ea for less than 100. (+ shipping)
    I think he also has sickle hook jigheads, but check with him to be sure.

All the sickle hook jigheads I currently have, came from CrappieDay ... but, I haven't had a chance to try them out, yet.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto to what crappiepappy said. PM Grousefly. He'll make ya what you want. I always use at least a #4. That's a good all around hook size, unless you are using a heavier jig, then the #2 or #1 are good. I rarely use anything bigger than 1/16, and the 4 is great on those and 1/32. I have found that fish short hit a lot more with the smaller hooks, especially with the larger profile baits. I've also lost a slab or two at the boat on the small hooks. Nothing worse than that.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using Crappieday's jig heads for two years now and I love them, I use 1/16 and 1/32 oz both with # 2 sickle hooks, he makes a good quality jig head.
    Biguns only:D

Post Thanks / Like

I pour my own, 1/32,1/16,& 1/8, On all of them I use #2,,,,,,,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast