Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Annual boat Service??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Annual boat Service??

I took my boat today and had it plugged into the computer to have everything checked out. My regular mechanic does not have the equipment to plug into the motor so I do this and have the report printed and take it to him. There were no error codes so everything is in good order. Tomorrow I am taking it to him and having it serviced including changing the lower unit lube, water pump, spark plugs, fuel pump diaphram and new fuel filter. I know not everyone does this but I hate getting to lake and having a problem so it is worth it to me to have everything serviced once a year.

Who else does this and what else do you have done? I am wondering about the ethnol now in all the gas and the effect of the additional water in it. I have now asked two mechanics and neither seems to know what exactly the effect this is gonna have on boat motors. Anyone doing anything to try and protect the motor from the addition water in the gas?

Post Thanks / Like

Well i don't do anything else to the gas but I only put in 93 octane. I am a boat mechanic (MK rating) for the US Coastguard, so I try and take pretty good care of mine as well. I know that it cost to have everything done, but it cost more to have it fixed and it takes time AWAY FROM FISHING....
    I have seen a lot of engines that people take care of and engine that people don't... Pole Bender- You one of the smart ones...
    Have a good season
    Shawn Hines
    Now stationed in...
    Middle East

Post Thanks / Like

Yes we do the same thing. We have the whole service done w/p lube carbs rebuilt new filters plugs new fuel pump wheel brgs repacked brakes checked batteries tested for life left and if under 50% replace the batteries. When we trade ours in somebody will get a well maintaned boat. This also will help the value of your boat as a trade or resaleing it youself.

Post Thanks / Like

I put stable in the fuel for the winter and I change lower unit oil spring and fall. Charge batteries once a month and fish when I can. Thats it... I know I should do more but when I need it, it runs.

Now if the weather would just cooperate!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pole Bender View Post
    Who else does this and what else do you have done? I am wondering about the ethnol now in all the gas and the effect of the additional water in it. I have now asked two mechanics and neither seems to know what exactly the effect this is gonna have on boat motors. Anyone doing anything to try and protect the motor from the addition water in the gas?
    Pole Bender, that's my major problem with how to deal with Ethanol, you don't find the same answer from any of the technicians we lean on for advice. One thing that does seem to be noteworthy is installing an in-line water separating fuel filter if your rig doesn't already have one. Some new rigs are coming from boat manufacturers with one already on but others do not. Yamaha seems more devout on this installation at the boat manufacturers than the others do at present time.