Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sickle hooks??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sickle hooks??

Where can you buy Red Sickle hooks? There always out whereever I call.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Send Skip (Skiptomylou) a PM. He can put you on the right path.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 02-19-2008 at 11:48 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishingDog
    Where can you buy Red Sickle hooks? There always out whereever I call.
    What size and how many are you looking for? I can check with the place I get mine from. Don't know what they will cost. As everyone is after them.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Default sickle hooks

are the better than reg hooks, and how much better. I need all the help I can get. I recently started tying my own but since I am a total novice I am using what ever I have or can find locally. I did see a place on Ebay that had the sickle hooks for a fair price and if they are worth the effort I will order some.
    Gilby aka Bill :D

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking for red sickle hooks to use in my jig molds for 1/16oz and 1/32oz jigs. I'd like to buy 500 of each size. Thanks!:D

Post Thanks / Like

I started pouring jig heads last year using red sickle hooks. I use the largest hook size for the mold. I use #2 in a 1/16 oz and #1/0 in a 1/8 oz mold. These hooks are sharp and provide a good wide gap. My son caught 93 on one jig head before he lost it and it was still sharp then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gilby1955
    are the better than reg hooks, and how much better. I need all the help I can get. I recently started tying my own but since I am a total novice I am using what ever I have or can find locally. I did see a place on Ebay that had the sickle hooks for a fair price and if they are worth the effort I will order some.
    It kind of depends on how you fish. If you fish heavy brush you will get hung up more with Sickles IMHO. I love them because they are sharp, but there are other hooks that are sharp as well.

I have a guide fried here on T-Bend and he likes 1/8 oz with #8 or #6 regular bend hooks because he fishes heavy brush most of the time.

If you want to go with a regular bend and just like the gap you have with a sickle then just go to the next larger size hook.

My main reason for liking them is they are sharp and that is all. As far a quality? Their Quality control sux pretty bad and that I don't like.

I keep both sickle hooks and regular bend hooks in stock.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I did have a box of 100 #2 that had a bad shank length issue. I had forgotten about that.
    The larger gap seems to give me more jiggle room while trying to shake a jig free IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

skip is right there quality control is horrible. I used to sell the reds but the red coating would come off with the first fish.I my self am about to give up on using them because they come from a company that doesnt care about quality or demand. They have actually caused a black market on them. when in stock you can get them for around 33 per thousand on the red hooks some vender's are trying to charge as much as 100 per thousand. the l;ast box I got pretty well summed it up. it said Matzuo colorado, made it china packaged in Korea

Post Thanks / Like

They sure catch fish like crazy. But will also catch you in a heart beat.
    pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast