Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: More Questions About Trout and Trout Stocking

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Questions About Trout and Trout Stocking

About 40 or so miles from me we have the Roaring Springs Ranch. I have thought about becoming a member there since it is kind of the Paradise of North Texas. There is a spring that constantly runs out there. They have it diverted thru the swiming pool and it later goes back into the ground but first runs into some large ponds out there. The water is constantly in the 50's year round. I was wondering, since it is a private facility owned by the members, how you would go about getting it stocked (if the other members agreed) with trout? Also since the water is constantly the temp where trout usually live, would they reproduce there or do as they usually do in Texas, whats not cought by summer will eventually die? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911

Post Thanks / Like

Check with Texas DNR... some states require special permits to introduce fish into a body of water. They would also have wildlife biologists who might be able to answer your questions on breeding vs. mortality

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the DNR should be able to help you out. Generally, if you will allow the public to fish, they will stock it for free. Since it's private, though, they'll probably charge you.

Sounds ideal for trout.

Post Thanks / Like

Carl Kittel is the Program Director for trout in the state of Texas. You might try [email protected]. Or Dale Lyon is in charge of the hatchery at Possum Kingdom. They raise trout there. I don't have any idea if the state will sell them to you or not. If not he might direct you. [email protected]. A place to start. Good Luck.
    The road to success is always under construction.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all. Your all a great help

Post Thanks / Like

Default trout stocking

Why? do 8 inch fish turn you on? I live several miles from a pretty good trout river, its all stocked,they dont repreduce, and they make great striper food.Some of the bows we catch are pretty good fish,we have a slot limit of 15 to 20 inch being forced to release, browns need to be 20 inches. all that sounds good, if you are a catch and release guiy, like i am, and use artificials, mostly, but trout are sort of wimpy, gut hook em, and they die, handle them roughly, they die, wate gets too warm, they die,I love to jig fish for trout, and sometimes do quite well, but if you need to pay to catch them, Hmmm. Our trout stamps cost us extra, no big deal, but then there are more problems, wait and see,when the purist start to insist on fly fishing only, or no natural bait fishing, trout are great, but actually , I think blue gill taste much better and are more fun to catch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    Why? do 8 inch fish turn you on? I live several miles from a pretty good trout river, its all stocked,they dont repreduce, and they make great striper food.Some of the bows we catch are pretty good fish,we have a slot limit of 15 to 20 inch being forced to release, browns need to be 20 inches. all that sounds good, if you are a catch and release guiy, like i am, and use artificials, mostly, but trout are sort of wimpy, gut hook em, and they die, handle them roughly, they die, wate gets too warm, they die,I love to jig fish for trout, and sometimes do quite well, but if you need to pay to catch them, Hmmm. Our trout stamps cost us extra, no big deal, but then there are more problems, wait and see,when the purist start to insist on fly fishing only, or no natural bait fishing, trout are great, but actually , I think blue gill taste much better and are more fun to catch.

Agree completely. They're fun to catch but are SO fragile. I live a couple of miles from a great river (the Chattahoochee.) It's stuffed with trout, but I'd rather catch the big carp in it or drive an hour and fish for bluegills, crappie and cats.

Sounds like you live near the Cumberland. A friend of mine guides there. I've fished it with him the last couple of years. Got my biggest brown there two years ago.
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 02-22-2008 at 08:17 PM.