Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crankbait trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crankbait trolling

Have any of you guys and gals ever used the Cabelas brand crankbaits for trolling crappie? I was on their site looking around and saw the Fishermen series Rad Shad that look a bit like the Grappler Shad that I have used with some sucess. They are about a dollar cheaper each, which really would make it hurt a little less than losing a $4.50 Bandit every time I snag up. If not, any suggestions on what works best besides Bandits and G.Shads?
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the Jointed Grappler Shads and also the solid ones, I think any of the shad baits will catch crappie as long as it is at the right depth.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Cranks

My favorite is the Norman series, I use the middle n mostly but that is because the depth is right for my fishing area. All the Norman lures work well, also rebel,Cotton Cordell, even shad raps work well. With the price of gas getting so high I am trolling cranks less and less, but they will catch a lot of fish and some of the biggest crappie you ever caught. possum1
    possum1
    Jack Mullins
    Psalms 46:1

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I find some Rebel Deep Wee R's cheap at Wally World -
    they're good.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I have and use these with good luck. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...gger&noImage=0 Plus WM in Meridian has a lot of Bandits on sale for $2 on the end caps, they are NOT the 200 and 300 series tho, some other types and I have not used them. I like the Grave Diggers. Jeff, have you started to pull Bandits yet?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

No Sir, but I've got 'em rigged up and ready - the way they've been
    hammering fast-pulled jigs lately, I'm getting anxious to try :D
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I love Cotton Cordell divers that run 7 to 12 feet deep. We tie a three way swivel on and use a crank bait and a jig. I use a 3 foot leader on the bottom with the crank to get down to desired dept so you don't have to let as much line out (20 to 25 yds) and then a 2 foot leader on the top with a jig or spinner of some type. In-line spinners are perfect for this. Although some days it's hard to keep your bait in the water. We find in produces a lot better quality of fish.
    It's not duck season so I have to do something... :D

You are welcome to join us on in outdoor adventures in Kansas. Come along for the ride at www.kansasoutdoorsman.com ~ This is our outdoor adventures of Kansas Hunting and Fishing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

In my honest opinion as long as it resembles a bait fish and you put it infront of a feeding fish at the RIGHT depth they'll hit it.I personally think running at the right depth is the most critical part in pulling cranks.I know this concept is new to the crappie world, but us diehard walleye guys have been using cranks for years and depth is always key.With that point said if it looks like a shad they'll hit it.Ive even caught crappie on #9 shad raps (thats a bug bait).Color will vary from day to day, but my go to is a Glass Shad Rap followed by a jointed shad rap.Those just happen to be my confidence bait.PJ

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody. Hey SteveJ, do the Gravediggers have about the same action as bandits. They look somewhat similar, but at a much better price. How deep does the deep run? Medium? Gonna have to try them. Then maybe I can buy the gas to pull them with the money I save.
    Last edited by SpeckWick; 02-19-2008 at 07:35 PM.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Seem pretty close to the Bandits, maybe a little shallower. Take a little more tuning tho, plus the color selection is not as great.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast